Extending Wiring Between Points And Condenser?

TampaSVT

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Quick question:

During the re-wiring project, I'm considering moving the condenser to a non-default position since it's not going to fit up under the tank. It would require extending the wiring about 12"+-.

Is there anything detrimental to expect if I extend?

Thanks,

Rich

TampaSVT,

Generally, the condensers should be connected either close to the coil (XS650) or close to the points. By close, I mean electrically, as in wire length of no more than about 6".

A longer wire length will introduce unneeded inductance in the wire itself which effectively counteracts the capacitance which may reduce the effect of the condensers both in terms of point protection and coil output.

However, this is all theory. You'll just have to try it to see.

Note: The PAMCO does not use condensers....:D

Normally the condensers mount inside the upper engine mount. How can they not fit under the tank?
Leo

Normally the condensers mount inside the upper engine mount. How can they not fit under the tank?
Leo

Not exactly a stock configuration. It's a really tight fit under there right now...

6309923480_bed8c1eeb7.jpg

With the new PAMCO and the PMA this weekend, many of my issues have been solved.

Rich

Ah, I see, no top engine mount. No top mount adds extra strain to the rest of the mounts. It can sometimes lead to the cases cracking around the mount bolt holes.
Extra vibration and sometimes less than stellar handling.
Your choise though.
Leo

Ah, I see, no top engine mount. No top mount adds extra strain to the rest of the mounts. It can sometimes lead to the cases cracking around the mount bolt holes.
Extra vibration and sometimes less than stellar handling.
Your choise though.
Leo

Leo:

I hear ya.

Still working on fabricating an upper mount.

Thanks,

Rich

Back