Extra washer in "shifter" zip-loc found during rebuild?

duluthmuffler

A 650rider
Reaction score
IMG_1395.jpg

Hi guys,
Does this dang washer seem like it belongs anywhere in the shifter assembly on the clutch side. It doesn't seem to fit anything in the shift assembly group.

Putting the engine back together... hate to have extra parts.
The shifter claw spring placed nearby for comparison. It is steal or aluminum (not copper), and looks like it might have been pressed on either side.. if we looked at its profile, the sides of the washer would be a v shape.

Thanks!

Well, that would rule-out an errant 6mm copper crush washer from the sidecover screws. They can take on a kinda V shape.

Still pondering on this.

Any pranksters in the area?

Edit: Compare it to one of the top oil tube banjo washers. *nevermind, those are 10mm*.

Edit2: That washer closely matches the washer used on the early 70-71 oilpump's relief valve retainer screw.

A PO *may* have tried to tighten-up the shift stopper fitment by putting a washer between parts #23 & #24.

Attachments

• 70-73-StopperLever.jpg
    70-73-StopperLever.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 216
I looked at that, and I don't see any wear that would match it. Either way, I'm deciding not to put it back there. The #24 and #23 fit are loose sort of but that washer would be really wrong.

For a little while, I thought it might be a piece pressed onto the case where that gear selection rod/guide comes out of the engine.- the rod that the stop plate (#25) butts up against. The OD matches that hole correctly, but I hadn't figured out that the guide/rod extends out of the case.

It doesn't seem to be part of the shift assembly...
Any other area under the right hand cover it might be from?

Thanks!

Back