EZ Pull Cable not fitting

colehooey

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I emailed Mercury Mike about this but thought I would try here too:

I purchased an E-Z Pull 46 1/4"(I'm running Super Bike bars) and the housing end to end is just the right length. The issue I'm running into is the extra length in the actual cable. When I went to install it, I connected the handlebar end and gave it as much length as I could there and did the same with the end of the cable but it still seems it is a full inch short from reaching the lever in the side cover housing when it is fully extended, let alone when it is in it's resting place.

Firstly, does my description make sense, secondly am I installing wrong or is there a different issue?

Thanks!

You need to use the EZ Pull perch and lever to get the full benefit of using this cable according to MMM. I'm running the cable and perch and am very pleased with the quality of both and how easy my clutch is to pull now.

Says the stock should work, and while I might be interested in that down the road, I just wanna get riding with everything as is.

If the sheath is a good length, then what matters is how much exposed inner cable there is. From another recent thread, someone measured 4 3/4" in a good new cable.

Understood colehooey, give me 10 minutes while I drop my cable out of the lever and I'll tell you how much wire I have exposed with a correctly adjusted clutch and you can look at yours and work it from there.

40mm of exposed wire at the lever end with a correctly adjusted clutch. I have to assemble the cable with the lever pivot pin out and then slide the lever into position in the perch, fit the pivot pin and then adjust the adjusting screw on the perch to take out the slack in the lever. I cannot fit the cable with the perch and lever assembled.
Hope this helps you out

40mm of exposed wire at the lever end with a correctly adjusted clutch.

The 4 3/4" is exposed cable with the entire cable connected to nothing. The point is if you have close to that, then the problem is not the cable not fitting (title of the thread).

Good point xjwmx and one I don't dispute.
I guess my point is I suspect the problem to be at the clutch end and not the cable so this measurement could confirm that.
My clutch is working spot on when hot or cold, cannot make it slip and can always find neutral, etc, etc.
I doubt the cable will be a dud.

If you want to get going and the cable part is long enough.
I would cut off the 1.5" or what ever the number is of the sheath with a razor knife and slide the tip back into place then install it. You would not be the first person to do this. I have performed this procedure myself.

Back