Facebook is a pain in the ass!

Mailman

Hardly a Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Ever since Craigslist started charging to post vehicle ads, a lot of people switched to Facebook Marketplace. A lot of times when I follow a link to a motorcycle ad on Facebook, it won’t show the listing unless you sign into Facebook. If I do manage to get on to Facebook Marketplace, it will time me out after so many minutes. So I resigned myself to creating an account. I had one a bunch of years ago and decided it wasn’t for me and I closed the account. Anyways I created an account, put no information in my profile, switched on every privacy option they had and I was on my way.

A couple hours later I tried going on it And I get a message that my account has been deactivated because I violated their policy. What the hell? I didn’t do anything! Now I can’t look at the Marketplace ads even though I’m not signed in, it somehow instantly recognizes me and reminds me that my account has been deactivated for the protection of other users.

I swear I hate social media
Mad The Simpsons GIF

Ya facebook is terrible. I got rid of it during the infamous first round of elections, for obvious reasons. While you didn't necessarily do anything wrong I wonder if providing the bare minimum and turning everything off made them think you were a spam account or something of the sort? Either way it sucks as that's the best to find something for sale. If you think Craigslist was bad, wait until you see the lowballers on there or deal with people not responding, it's like a new world. I resort to using my wife's account for any dealings.

Here is a way around it........Bit of a pain but also an excuse to go for a ride on the bike. ........................Go to your local library and use their computers to make a Facebook page. make a fake email address and use it to make up your facebook page and give it fake info as well and leave some permissions on.

I started to use my local library a few years ago when my router blew up and i had to buy a new router to be able to diagnose if it was my router in the first place. I changed from a router and I decided to do all my internet from my phone, because i am limited to 30 Gb per month i use the local library to do any big downloads. Works well and it also hides my IP adress if i want to go that way.

Also something quite soothing, relaxing and old school spending some time in a library. Glad i rediscovered and enjoy my time there

You know I was thinking about it. I gave them a fake birthday for me. When I had a Facebook account years ago , I don’t remember if I gave my true birth date or not. Maybe that tripped me up or , yeah the fact that gave no information about myself made me look suspicious.

You know I was thinking about it. I gave them a fake birthday for me. When I had a Facebook account years ago , I don’t remember if I gave my true birth date or not. Maybe that tripped me up or , yeah the fact that gave no information about myself made me look suspicious.
I got booted off FB just about a day or two for violating there rules
I then had to use my telephone number to create a new account with a fake name etc
I've tried to sell stuff but NOBODY knows how to call or text back
They all assume we're all glued to FB 24/7
Not sure I'll ever try again

Did the same as you Bob. Has one yrs ago. closed it. Opened new about 6 months ago and they promptly suspended it. Wish I could tell you what I did to fix it, but I honestly don't remember. There is a way though. Think I had to send 'em an email? :umm:

Well I started an inquiry, but I don’t know if I’ll ever hear back from them.
Yeah, think that's what I did. Started an inquiry, kept checking and after 3 or 4 days I could suddenly log in. No response from 'em, just suddenly started working.

I avoided FB for many years.... what really turned me off... my wife's nephew posted photos of his child's first " potty " success ... complete with a bird's eye view of the " results " floating in the bowl. But I signed up because the local M/c clubs I belong to.. VJMC.. AMCA post events and info.. I also follow the 650 boys among others. I won't do " friends " I don't need " potty or politics ".... Marketplace....I've seen a few great deals... but I'm usually " first loser "...I get.. " sold, five minutes ago..". :cool:

Do as skull says, create another email address and another facebook account and use that until facebook releases you from goal. Then when you fall foul of their community standards you can swap to your other account. Having two email addresses is also handy. I have a bad habit of referring to Japanese bikes as Jap bikes, a common abbreviation in Oz, as is Brit bikes. Facebook's community standards are out of control, you have to be very careful of wording in anything you post. But, it is still the best media platform around, Twitter and the like are totally different platforms. Facebook gets a lot of flak over hacking, community standards and so on, but it is by far the most popular social media platform on the web with over 2.9000,000,000 monthly active users, there is a reason for that, it is the easiest to use and name any hobby, sport or interest and there will be a group for it. There are dozens for the XS650. For the young folk, having as many facebook friends as you can find is a big thing, but there are problems with hacking when it comes to that. I limit mine to five or six, all family. Hackers aren't interested in accounts like that, they want accounts with lots of friends so they can hack as many accounts as possible.

Last edited:

I have only had one FB account. Before i signed up i made a fake Email account, (and that's as easy as pie), with a different name and particulars. used that email account to open a Facebook acc..............making a new account from your address will trigger them as u are using the same IP address.

I have seen posted pics on here in a google search within hours from when they have been posted here. Everything is sucking information and selling it in an almost instanainious time frame. Thats why a library is the perfect spoil, can't be traced back to your home

Unlikely, probably just a glitch in their system. You don't need to tell the truth when signing up, use any name you like, any details you like, facebook only pays attention to the IP address. I've had several aliases over the years, some with just symbols instead of names. It's not only facebook that has problems with people trying to sign up. Unfortunately, computational glitches happen on many platforms, facebook has more than others simply due to the number of users, nearly 3 billion, compare that with the numbers using XS650.com. If at first you don't succeed???
Some VPNs will hide your IP address.

Last edited:
I was only interested in Marketplace so I created a fake email, fake birthdate, fake name etc. No personal info of any kind. My account got suspended in a couple of days because I didn`t create a profile pic. I sent them a pic of Buffalo Bob from the old Howdy Doody show and they accepted it and reinstated me. FB stinks out loud! The only ad`s I`m sure are real are the ones I post. Maybe Elon Musk could buy FB too and straighten their ass`s out.:shrug:

On routers, mine started playing up a little over a month ago. After trying for two days to to contact the ISP, ringing all their numbers, sending emails to all their email addresses I finally got through to India and ordered a modem, well at least I think I did, I couldn't understand a word he said. Roll on a month and I got an email from them telling me my modem was on the way. I could have bought a modem from any to of the electrical goods suppliers, but my ISP tells me I won't be supported by them on their help line, if I can contact them that is. TPG, what a delightful business to correspond with. Excuse me while I reset my modem _ again!

Yet FB allows scam ads about a zillion times a day, and BS commercial ads that are rip offs go on and on and...................
I do buy n sell there, it is funkier than CL and that's say'n something. Actually I think most of the flakes have moved over to facebook, so CL is a now a higher class of folks (mostly) LOL. I tried offer up a few times but it was even worse than FB.

Last edited:
Yet FB allows scam ads about a zillion times a day, and BS commercial ads that are rip offs go on and on and...................
Every time I get on FB I wind up reporting a half dozen or more ads. It really is getting stupid there....
$400 Ebikes.... 59 bucks delivered. Maybe if people weren't so stupid?
Nah... that's lettin' FB off the hook. Maybe if the algorithms weren't so stupid?
Nah... that's lettin' the programmers off the hook. Stupid effin' programmers.

AussieBroadband..................Any problems, your talking to Australians, all trouble shooting, queries, or for any reason, goes through their Australian based call center.........And very competitive pricing with no contracts.............

Problem when i had router problems was they couldn't diagnose through my computer because i wasn't on the internet. If my router was working they would have been able to tell me it it was working or not...............if it wasn't they wouldn't be able to tell me because they cant diagnose when my internet wasn't working.................dog chasing its tail kinda thing

Back