False air. How would you fix this?

dwaynemcfarlane

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
False air/ leaking air from this area. How would you fix this? Liquid gasket?

Attachments

• B79B7679-BD0A-4CA0-8CBB-BDD8FE7F0FFD.jpeg
    B79B7679-BD0A-4CA0-8CBB-BDD8FE7F0FFD.jpeg
    289.9 KB · Views: 83
Remove the cover and double check the installation of the diaphragm lip into the groove. It may have slipped during assembly. De-burr the grove and smooth the component surfaces as necessary. Re-install with a light coating of grease which will help hold the diaphragm in place and provide somewhat of a seal. Once back together, raise the slide, cover the vent slot with your finger and verify that the slide does not fall.

I would be surprised if any major leak can happen there ..Surfaces are rather fine on carburetors
If the parts are not mixed or so --Cover shifted and / or wrong screw --- the one in that corner appears longer
--- Not tighted down right step by step
Personally I slop on gasket chemicals ,, But only a little on carburetors in extreme cases
Not for many years.
As a beginner I once clogged a Stromberg Carburetor for a VOLVO ..With Permatex .

I had a leak there once. It was due to the outer O-ring edge of the diaphragm slipping out of place like "hovel" described above. I used a tiny spot of Red RTV, but if I had to do it again I'd use "Castrol Red Rubber Grease" - Its thick and sticky. The job does not require sealant, just something sticky to keep the diaphragm in place while tightening the screws.

Back