Farewell, XS650

petesxs

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I doubt anybody here would notice, but the good old XS650 no longer exists. How so? They were all chopped to death by guys enamored with the Teutels and tattoos and being a bad-as$ outlaw. XS650s were relatively cheap and anybody with a chainsaw--I'm not making this up--could hack and whack their frames and make a rigid. Put a whitewall car tire on it. Drop it to 5 psi to survive the roads. Put the springer saddle on it from your Schwinn. Looks cool, can't get out of its own way, and rides like cr*p. We don't need no stinkin' shocks. Make sure you put apes on it. Real men ride apes. When I sell my 1980, I'll just ask one thing: don't ruin it by making it a chopper, because they're like bellybuttons--everybody has one.

Makes no sense. Some of us have taken great pains to keep our bikes stock. Unfortunately many bikes have been neglected over the years making resurrection to stock too expensive to justify.

Attachments

• cimg2187.jpg
    cimg2187.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 250
How many of these "bitch about how other people build THEIR xs650" threads are we going to have? Have you silly old geezers forgot that we just discussed this last week?:laugh:

Threads that should be locked and or nuked immediately:
1. Bitching about styles of bikes (choppers,bobbers,cafe etc...)
2. Shit talking/bashing members bikes on here
3. ???

The funny thing is he explained exactly why people use the XS650 as a base for it. Because it's easy and anyone can do it. They aren't going to take 20,000 dollar complex bikes to make bare bones bobbers out of.

And most people aren't picking up an old beater to bring back to life, they are making toys out of them.

Nothing against keeping em stock, I think that's cool as heck, but I bought a 100 dollar xs650 to make a beat up ratty bobber and dammit tough cookies to you, i'm going to chop it, weld it, and drive by your house if I knew where you lived. ;)

The funny thing is he explained exactly why people use the XS650 as a base for it. Because it's easy and anyone can do it. They aren't going to take 20,000 dollar complex bikes to make bare bones bobbers out of.

And most people aren't picking up an old beater to bring back to life, they are making toys out of them.

Nothing against keeping em stock, I think that's cool as heck, but I bought a 100 dollar xs650 to make a beat up ratty bobber and dammit tough cookies to you, i'm going to chop it, weld it, and drive by your house if I knew where you lived. ;)

X2 I got bought mine to bob, but now I'm just gonna leave it be and find another one or something else to bob.. I really don't car if it is an XS, just as long as it is a parallel twin, preferably an XS but don't have to be....

WP_000372.jpg

Unfortunately many bikes have been neglected over the years making resurrection to stock too expensive to justify.

The cheapest way of getting one of those up and running is replace parts with stock parts in better condition. Much cheaper than any alternative.

I could not imagine chopping a nice one. I've yet to buy a nice one. Every one I chopped was saved from the eventual doom of the junkyard so who cares. They made a shit ton of them and many were neglected and left to die. Ive saved three and none are stock. If I had a 32 ford that was stock I would chop that. To each their own.

The guy from whom I bought my '82 Heritage Special chops and sells them for a sideline - he told me up front when I first called on it that this one was just too good for him to cut. I respected that. After a year and a half, it is still very recognizable as a late XS650 - bobbed turn signals, Standard handlebar, and most recently an 18 inch rear rim and tire, slowly progressing toward a mild cafe raodster.

Hard to say why certain bikes are more desireable than others to modify, it's not always the numbers available. I have one of these bikes as well as my XS and prices are skyrocketing due to the "cult like status" and the desire of many to modify them. I believe there were only 2,000 sold in the US, not sure how many in Canada.

w650.jpg

Last edited:
They sold over 500,000 units worldwide. I think there will always be a few originals out there. When everyone goes electric . hydrogen or solar and you cant afford gasoline anymore come back and bitch... and then think, damn, I wonder what was like to ride a chopped XS 650?..

:p

I think its awsome that people make these bikes what they want, gives people a sense of accomplishment making something from a pile of crap. I like stockers and hardtails both the same, and its not a fad, or an OCC thang, people have been modifying bikes since they came out, its human nature to personalize things.

One thing that some people fail to realize is, alot of these bikes rot into the earth, rust behond saving, get scrapped for metal, or become some junk yard guys way of making a quick buck. So even though we chop them, stretch them, slam them and make them what we think is cool, its actually better to have a yamaha on the road, than to have it just cease exist.

I am far from a purist, but I do like the lines of a stock bike. I also ride all year long so I made some improvements to my suspension front and rear. I also simplified my paint scheme. I am a firm believer in if you own it do what you want.

I'm going to start making swingarm kits :D

Seriously though.. there are plenty of stock XS650s around here on Craigslist to be had.

I have a dead stock 1977 that looks like it just came out of the showroom and a 1974 thats is a full out street tracker .... where do I fit in your list
There is room for us all
Paul

Back