Fastening of a XS750 tank on xs650 frame?

stiannb

XS650 Member
Reaction score
How does the people on this forum fastening their xs750 tank on their xs650 frame?

The front fastening point is opposite on the original tank than there is on the xs750 tank, how did you guys fix this?

There's a few ways... you can take the rubber pucks off the stock tank, flip them and with a through bolt/washers, drill a hole in the frame and screw them to the frame. with regard to location, either cut the holders off the stok frame...or you can put the pucks just above the stock location without cutting the holders off. Takes a little measuring but pretty easy to do.

You can do a search (above) and find some threads on a step by step.

I started with putting the pucks about an inch forward and above the stock holders on the frame...but ultimately drilled out the spot welds, and removed the holders on the frame for a better/lower stance.

The back of the tank where it gets bolted down needs to be bent up a bit to match the angle of the stock post/bolt. And you should file down the rubber bumper to fit the top frame rail as well.

It's not too hard, and will make sense when you get it on the bike.

How does the people on this forum fastening their xs750 tank on their xs650 frame?

Hi stiannb,
I've read that as the XS750 tank tunnel is wider than the XS650's and the two sets of cups just about clear each other the easiest way is to make a set of double-sided hockey pucks that adapt the XS650's frame cups to the XS750's tank cups.
But why are you doing this?

I had a welder weld a new gas cap on the original tank (round gas cap), and he did a terrible work and the result was that I bought a cheap but good xs750 gas tank to put on instead.

I had a welder weld a new gas cap on the original tank (round gas cap), and he did a terrible work and the result was that I bought a cheap but good xs750 gas tank to put on instead.

Hi stiannb,
I hate it when that happens.
OK then yes, an XS750 tank can be made to fit but it does take some work to do it.
Does the terrible weld leak gas or does it just look ugly?
It's amazing how using enough body filler can disguise a bad weld.
Even if the weld doesn't seal perhaps epoxy can fix it?

Everything, the prework on the sheet metal was poor so the tank has flat spots, and he cooked the weld (to much heat). The most idiotic thing is that the welder is a pretty good industrial welder with low fail %. But I think this was just to new experience to him and he never done it before.

nice, I'm not a member on the other forum so I can't se the pictures, but the rubber mount look great, is that a par you can order or do you have to make it?

Everything, the prework on the sheet metal was poor so the tank has flat spots, and he cooked the weld (to much heat). The most idiotic thing is that the welder is a pretty good industrial welder with low fail %. But I think this was just to new experience to him and he never done it before.

Oh yes, I worked with one of those. We called him "Mr. Warpantorch"
Best welder ever for re-hardfacing bulldozer blade edges or working thick plate but on the thin stuff, not so much.

The rubber pieces are from the stock mounts. They are mounted differently using copper pipe end caps. You should register. This is a helpful and active site with not too much bad attitude members.

Glenn

Aren't there two different xs750 tanks? On is like a big xs650 Special tank, the other is kind of squarish shaped. I think xs750 non-Special has the squarish one.

Last edited:
It's easy. I used rubber pucks from a Kawasaki H1 and after I ground off the old tank mounts on the frame I just tapped and screwed in bolts to hold the new rubber pucks on the frame. Be sure to carefully mark where you want the tank. You can position it too far forward where it can be dinged by the upper yoke.
IMG_1605.JPG

Aren't there two different xs750 tanks? On is like a big xs650 Special tank, the other is kind of squarish shaped. I think xs750 non-Special has the squarish one.
Yes, the earlier "knee dent" tank and the later one that looks like a big XS650 Special tank - dunno what year it changed

Back