Fat tire

Mcnabb

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have been checking out some pic of bobbers with the springer front end and the fat ass tire.. Well I like the look so does anyone know the wheel size is the norm to do this?:shrug:

I call that the 'orange county chopper' look. Personally I think it looks like ass, but I appreciate that everyone has different tastes.

To start working on this you're going to need a new rear swingarm, because the stock one is too narrow at the head.

If I could post a pic I would show you all what I'm talkin about the wheels look to be the same and so do the tires like a 16X4 front and a 16X4 rear or something

oh hell nevermind. I totally misread your intent.

Yeah I like the tires being fairly big, and the same size front to back. I thought you were talking about the retarded giant rear tire and tiny tricycle front tire thing.

xs650-chop-noid-IMG_7313-587x355.jpg

raked_xs650_racer.jpg

xs650-chop-noid-DSC03121-587x288.jpg

Hilariously, that's about the look I like too.

How I am going to do that is to get a rear from an SR500 so that my wheels are both 18".

Apparently you drift out the bearings and you swap them with xs650 bearings and it's a swap in replacement.

The bikes pictured are not 19"s. Dual 19" is the common route for a tracker style build. The 1st pic is a xs rear rim laced to a front hub. The 2nd pic is harley fatboy solid wheels that have been drilled. The 3rd pic I have no clue what they are. And I dont believe they are 16's or the same rim size as the 2 pics above.

my bad, I misunderstood your comment. I thought you meant that sr500's were 16 front and back =/

I need more coffee.

The only issue with running a SR500 rear wheel is sprocket size. About 39 teeth is as small as you can get. The hub portion of the wheel limits this. As long as ya dont mind shifting a lot and screaming rpm at 70, the swap is easy enough. I used the chain adjusters and bushings (the ones that go between the axle and swingarm) from a 80's yz, and the sr rear axle. This was on a drum brake SR mag.
I run a rd 400 rear 18 mag now...xs500 is the same I think. sprockets are available in smaller than stock XS sizes for reduced rpm on the hiway. Plus ya get disc brakes. I run a 130 90 rear tire.

Back