feeler gauge issue, and remembering gremlins from 10 years ago

emzdogz

Aunty Em
Reaction score
Does it seem ODD that in a fairly big feeler gauge set, the thinnest feeler is too thick to use for the intake valves setting on an '80? The thinnest one was appropriate for the exhaust valves.

Also NOW I know why I have this really small sized Yamaha parts stud in my parts box, still in package. One of the small studs for the right side intake valve cover had stripped way long ago (like 10 years ago when I used to mess with this bike before) and I had JB welded it in. It held! I had to dig at the base of it to figure out what was wrong. So, now I DO have a new stud, no clue if just chasing the threads would be sufficient to seat the new one, or what. But It seems to be staying on OK JB welded in.....doesn't leak or anything.

Anyway, just thought that was mighty odd about the feeler gauge set. And mighty annoying. The exhaust valves were a hair tight so I re-adjusted. I also went ahead and loosened up the front ones and just set them real tightly on that last feeler. Like so I had to pull hard to get it out. Which is just about how they were when I checked them before loosening nut.

on the feeler guage package, it usually says the range of sizes.
I got a friends 72 back on the road after sitting since 92 recently, and when I finally was able to startit, and heat cycle a few times to retorque the head, one of the exhuast studs pulled outof the head. Guesse what? JB weld! held for that long, you prolly have another 10 years before yours pulls out. just dont go cray tightening it.
cool to read your progress. we are all pulling for you, but its kinda hard to follow with out a dedicated build thread.

EM,
ever play around with wider valve lash on the later bikes? Thought I picked up a buzz around here about the last being tighter than it needed to be and adding a lot of useless duration to the cam...

Good work on the bikes you guys!
E

hi Angus, I actually do have a build thread but mostly have found it best to put my questions in an old thread if it pertains to the subject. But for ones like this, yeah, I should stick them on my build thread. Hope I can find it and update it.
Looks like it might be time to try and ride the bike up and down the street in a couple of days!
:)
thanks - and thanks Ernie, too. No I never heard of wider valve lash for the later XS's, but I will do some searching.

Yeah it is a pain to not have the .0025 feeler but not unusual. At least one set I have has the .0025 gauge torn off and missing. It's rather thin and easily damaged.

I think the reason they went to a tighter lash on the later engines was for the EPA. The tighter lash was quieter than the larger lash. Most bikes like the .003 intake, .006 exhaust. I set mine that way. The 75 has the Porsche elephant foot adjusters on it and at .003I .006E are quiet and run well. The 81 with stock adjusters are a not quite as quiet, but run well.
As Angus said most feeler gauges have a size listing on the package.
Just a thought do you have a dial caliper? If so try measuring strips cut from cans. You might find some the right thickness and can make your own feeler gauges. A Labatt Blue can measures about .002 thick.
Leo

I run .004" on my intakes with the elephants feet, still quiet and better oiling.

Just a thought do you have a dial caliper? If so try measuring strips cut from cans. You might find some the right thickness and can make your own feeler gauges. A Labatt Blue can measures about .002 thick.
Leo

what a great idea! I do have access to a depth dial gauge at work. So I could make a hole in a strip of very flat beer can material and let the needle from gauge poke down through that and see how many .000's it is. Will do. thanks again.

Dial may work the other way, too. So I'd put material under needle and it would swing the other way from the "0". We'll see.

Back