fender and chain clearance

pat_in_the_hat

In the learning stage
Reaction score
Alright so im about to finish up on my build. Its a typical tc bros hardtail, peanut tank. I know, over done, but i dont care, I like it. So Im about to cut the chain for it and realized there isnt much clearance between the rear fender and the chain. Maybe roughly half an inch. What is the minimum clearance that you would say you can run with? I would like to avoid notching the fender if at all possible. Thanks for your help!

How much tail stretch (or total number of chain links) you running? Running a tensioner? Which type, and top or bottom? Chain/fender clearance issue for top and bottom, or just top?

I've gotten away with 1/2" before, but not on overly stretched tails...

Its a tc bros hard tail so 4" stretch (would be roughly 115 links I believe). Wasnt thinking about running with a tensioner, but that would help, wouldnt it... The issue is with both top and bottom of the chain. I suppose I might just take it slow at first to test how much room I have and if the chain bounces over enough to grab the fender

Yup, both new sprockets and it should be lined up straight when im finished. So just keep the chain tight and a 1/2" clearance should work?

Sounds good to me. Might try wrapping/taping something protective (maybe 1/8" thick?) on the fender, to check for contact after your test ride...

Back