Finally Found a Lower Side Cover

bdholsin

XS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I've found the "unicorn" of XS650 parts. Since I've had my bike these past 7 or 8 months I've wanted to find the lower side cover. Finally found it on craigslist. Its circled in red in the picture below. Sent the guy $20 and he'll (hopefully) send me the cover. Woo hoo!!
Parts.jpg

Lower right side cover? I have one of those I would just have given you.

Oh yeah, NOW you tell me. :laugh:

It's alright. I think $20 is reasonable for the rarity of this part and to finish off the bike a bit more.

Question: there are grommets on the left side as well. Is there a left side lower cover?

there is, but I think the lower left side is harder to find then the right side lol

there is, but I think the lower left side is harder to find then the right side lol

Don't suppose you (or anyone for that matter) has a lower left side cover you'd be willing to part with for anything less than an arm and a leg...or$20 or so? :bike:

the rubber grommets from mikesxs are junk, if your stock ones are halfway decent you should keep them.

jamesgs4,
What was the difference? Size? Or the compund? I've been picking the best ones out of an old collection.

Do you still have the brackets that bolt onto the foot pegs that hold them on? They're the two black thingies in the pic, between the exhaust and the fenders.

It took me a while to put together a set for my '83. I've since collected enough to do another full set (both brackets and both lower side covers).

Do you still have the brackets that bolt onto the foot pegs that hold them on? They're the two black thingies in the pic, between the exhaust and the fenders.

It took me a while to put together a set for my '83. I've since collected enough to do another full set (both brackets and both lower side covers).

Was that directed to me? If so, I only bought the lower side cover that the guy had listed. That picture was from his listing. If you would like I can provide you with his contact information.

the rubber grommets from mikesxs are junk, if your stock ones are halfway decent you should keep them.

My grommets seem to be pretty good. On the few that I've replaced I chose not to get them from mikes. Rather, I just went to my local hardware store and picked up some rubber grommets and modified/used them. Working good so far.

Like Scott S asked, do you have the brackets that the lower tab of the lower cover slips in to? It may be described as a beauty plate. Gotta have them or you'll lose those lowers in no time....

Like Scott S asked, do you have the brackets that the lower tab of the lower cover slips in to? It may be described as a beauty plate. Gotta have them or you'll lose those lowers in no time....

Now I see what he was asking. If you are referring to the grommets that I circled in red (below)...then, yes, they are good on both sides.

DSC_0154.jpg

Not the grommets.....do you see the lower tab on the lower side cover? That is held in place by a stamped metal plate that goes against the frame and is configured with the passenger peg and the front peg if memory serves me well, I'll look for a pic.

Back