Finally got a bike after a few setbacks. What oil, plugs, etc?

wmarsh4

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally managed to get a i believe 72 xs 650. Its been sitting for 15-20 years in a basement. Not the greatest shape. I was wondering what type of oil is recommended and the oil capacity? What types of plugs are best? And any other info/tips on what should be done before a start-up? Appreciate any info. Thanks.

Everything you want to know about an XS2 is in this thread..................a lot of chaff but Mailman has made a contents list of links, (bottom of post #1), to important parts of the build. This is a complete restore with some short cuts when it came to chrome and some other minor things that came up good with hand work rather than re-chroming and such.

https://www.xs650.com/threads/mailman’s-xs2-a-full-on-restoration.51520/

Haven gone right through it recently but i had it bookmarked so may be of some use
https://www.xs650.com/threads/1972-resto-retro-project.44323/

Finally managed to get a i believe 72 xs 650. Its been sitting for 15-20 years in a basement. Not the greatest shape. I was wondering what type of oil is recommended and the oil capacity? What types of plugs are best? And any other info/tips on what should be done before a start-up? Appreciate any info. Thanks.
Welcome to Bedlam @wmarsh4
Pictures or it doesn't exist. ;)
Did I mention we like to see pics?
This thread a good read for a "new to XS650s" owner. https://www.xs650.com/threads/guide...checklist-for-the-condition-of-your-find.367/
Oh, pictures would be good.

I'm pretty sure the plug spec was updated from the standard "B" type to the "BP" type (projected tip for a better burn). The "BP" type plug wasn't around I don't think when the XS2 came out. Also, the heat range was changed to a "7", one step hotter. So, get BP7ES plugs.

NGK discontinued the BP7ES plug quite awhile ago. Last summer I bought every one I could find through NAPA.
There are a few kickin' around here and there, but in my experience they are items which are a bit banged up or "returns".
Folks are using various alternatives.

NGK BP7ES; they are still being made, and are sold in Europe I got 8 or 10 from fleabay last fall, took a couple weeks to get. Or you can change the plug caps to the non resister type and use BPR7ES which ARE available in the US.

I got the vr1 20w-50 oil. No plugs as they weren't available in what was recommended. So gotta figure that out and the oil filter. Geez. Seems like all you guys want me for are my pics. :( so here's a couple. :D She was frosty though, as you can see the southeast Indiana weather here. Lol. He told me he's got a box of parts he's going to get to. Side covers and such.
20220205_203728.jpg
20220205_204034.jpg
20220205_204059.jpg
20220205_204023.jpg
20220205_203739.jpg
20220205_204126.jpg
20220205_204226.jpg
20220205_204306.jpg
20220205_204336.jpg

Got any more pics? Just kidding, Thanks for sharing.
Several tells say it's a 73 TX650 not a 72 XS2; Blue paint, seat and tank, front brake all from a 73, not much else is different between those two years. Yamaha starts building the next model year in about July This is common for most Japanese bikes, to get stock made, shipped to dealers, and in the display room for the spring buying season.

Last edited:
Congrats. That will clean up really well.
Looks like it's had a box sitting on the seat for years, but it's not torn it (as far as I can see).
Get the Brasso out, you've got a long job ahead of you and there's plenty winter left.

Yes, the seat looks pretty good.
After you clean it with something mild like clear liquid handwashing soap and a little water, you could warm the box crease with a hairdryer carefully and massage the vinyl. The crease will probably mostly disappear.

NGK BP7ES; they are still being made, and are sold in Europe I got 8 or 10 from fleabay last fall, took a couple weeks to get. Or you can change the plug caps to the non resister type and use BPR7ES which ARE available in the US.
Club Plug sells the BPR7ES stock #5534 for $2.90 Cdn each plus shipping and taxes. This stock number has a removable terminal nut. If you buy more than $69, shipping is free - that’s 24 plugs. If the local crowd wants to buy some, lmk and if we can get sufficient numbers I can place an order. For those travelling from the US to the Paris Rally in June, shipping will be free. Message me if interested - this is a non profit exercise for me but will be happy to help those in need.

*** Edit: Rock Auto has the same plug, but with shipping costs. Landed cost close to the same as Club Plug. Shipping costs should be low for the US guys. May be a better option?

DDBE4620-6F42-4627-B86A-0FAF7ABA95FB.png

Last edited:
Back