Finally, I got mine! Now what?

AZTim - as they say "ride it like you stole it":bike:

Totally up my alley on this one...... but I've been beaten to a pulp on the subject.........lets see what others

XSJohn, "long" is a relative term:D

Just behind the upper shock mounts I will try to run indicators with small led's, and a front slim sounds good. I really need a rear fender. My ass keeps telling while I ride it that this will be important...lol. I keeping the shocks. I like the feel of it. can I tap out the tank, or shouls I just get a new one. Thanks to all. i will keep you all posted. Xumi, I love your reply, laughed my ass off!!

I was thinking what would look really cool is if you could attach just the very back "loop" from a stock frame, to the 2 stubs that stick out back. Then a fender would fit nice and neat under it.

Tim, here in Ct. there is a company called Painless dent removal. They work with a variaty of different wedges & such & push out the dent's from the inside. Allot of new car dealer's use them 'cause they dont damage the paint,ect. Instead of putting another hole in the tank. I can't remember what site had the video, but this guy worked out a dent very similar to your's. In about 10 minute's.:shrug: I've also read that some of the guy's have taken the stock rear fender & slide it down into the wheel area for that shortened look.:twocents:

The cost of repair to the tank and painting might cost more than buying a new tank with new petcocks , is it rusty inside the tank . Bullet indicators look good to .

need to know what these two things are. the first is a cap that is loose, should I be worried about this, and the next is the bolt with a thing inside that spins...lol, I wish i knew more but I'm learning. I changed the chain on the bike and used the chain breaker from Harbor Frieght that I saw on you tube for $9.99 and MAN it works!!! I used it as a riviting tool and was very happt with the results. Anyway, Thanks for the help in advance.
000_0053.jpg

000_0052.jpg

Wellll -

Not sure about the first - is that the oil pressure sensor wire?

The second is easy - that's your tachometer output - your tach cable should screw into that (assuming your bike has a tach still)... If you don't have a tach and don't plan on one, then you might try to find a cap for that.

Thanks inxs - that was my first instinct, but then I second guessed myself.

- not all chains have joining links these days...you can buy most now as continuous chains without the clip link...can break them to shorten and rejoin with a rivet link or clip link

The taco is a good thing to have working on the XS. It is connected to the oil pump so if the taco shits its self then stop and check the cable.........if the cable is broken then could be good to go....if the cable is good then get a trailer home before riding again and repair the oil pump

all good stuff. Ok, taco line not installed. I will look into adding one. Nutral light...aaahhhh, ok. One question. I have mini apes i want to put on and, cables are to short. There is a bike shop in town that can take the ends and fittings and custom make. $40 a cable, YIKES!! Is there another solution?

I love that stance! look on I believe page 3 in pictures there is a red scoot,same cut job(shocks,and under seat)cool look the beast of both worlds,,,style and shocks what a novel concept!

update, its been awhile I know... Anyway, Have it totaly stripped down. going to hardtail. All over the board deciding on a hardtail. looking to go david bird at lowbros. Yes i know, I hate the clunky thing at the bottom that welds it to the lower section. Will by pass this and fab a striaght shot. so, here is a link to the concept I'm shooting for. What i need to know is what the stretch might be and drop. looks to me to be a 4in stretch and 2 inch drop. however, does it have rake? that is the question. Anyway, if anyone has any info on this bike i would love it!! Oh, and I will get picks up real soon. This will be the start of my build with you guys helping of course, because I will need it...lol

http://www.knucklebusterinc.com/features/2008/09/26/xs650-chopper/

that bike in the link is really cool looking. The fender struts/supports are of interest to me - I wonder if with that bend in them, they are very strong. Or even semi-strong. They sure look good, tho.

"no stretch, no rake. stock frame home brew hardtailed using swingarm weld/cut method"

per- the comments in the link....dipdik :wink2:

thrashin... I read that too, but there has got to be a strech...maybe no rake, but has to be a strech. That guy was speculating I think. Anyway, we will see.

Emzdogz...ya, I agree. I am trying to figure out how he obtained the low stance on thi bike. I noticed the axle plates are positioned higher to allow the wheel to fit lower on the tail section. The hard tails I have seen seem to promote a higher positioning.

Emzdogz...ya, I agree. I am trying to figure out how he obtained the low stance on thi bike. I noticed the axle plates are positioned higher to allow the wheel to fit lower on the tail section. The hard tails I have seen seem to promote a higher positioning.

Actually, I am pretty sure there is no stretch. Like thrashing said. The guy used the stock swingarm to line everything up. Welded his hard tail to it and then cut out the swingarm. Same method Hugh (Punkskalar) used. However, there is a drop factored in to the hardtail.

Back