Fine tuning...

Pennies Earned

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I've finally got my xs on the road after a long struggle. Now its time to dial it in. While riding I've noticed a couple of things. Firstly, it seems to wander ever so slightly while riding. When I'm riding and I take a hand off, the bars seem to wiggle enough to make it feel somewhat unsafe. Secondly, when in first, and the clutch fully engaged, the bike moves ever so slightly forward when at a stand still (just a matter of adjusting the clutch cable?). Lastly when the bike is on the center stand and the bike turned on, the rear wheel constantly moves (is this normal?).

wiggling, bad swing arm bushes or bad steering bearings.

Clutch worm gear needs to be adjusted.

Wheel spinning is normal after the clutch/worm gear are adjusted properly.

As CDNTX650 says the swing arm bushings can be loose. Check the torque on the pivot bolt. If the bolt is loose it can feel like worn bushings.
The steering head bearings to loose or to tight can cause wiggling.
A few other things can cause wiggling. Loose wheel axles, wheel bearings, loose spokes, bent wheels, soft tires, bad tires, low or no oil in the forks, bad rear shocks, loose clamp bolts on the trees.
On the clutch, yes it can drag a bit even when properly adjusted. On the center stand with no resistance to the wheel turning it is most noticable. When on the ground there is enough resistance from the bikes weight to keep it from moving while running.

Back