Finished Build- 80 xs650 bobber. Bare-Bones

In the first pic, I think I saw a little steam rising outta those sneakers.

Yeah, that little extra rake helps.

This is the first time I've seen a custom frame without the lower rear engine mount.
Was that an option on the kit?

ha :) steaming sneakers... i think my longest push thus far has been about a mile and a half when test piloting new projects, but cumulatively must be approaching 6 miles. builds character, especially when you're 56.

that's a lotta work for a first build padgett. kudos.

In the first pic, I think I saw a little steam rising outta those sneakers.

Yeah, that little extra rake helps.

This is the first time I've seen a custom frame without the lower rear engine mount.
Was that an option on the kit?

The 'ardcore hardtail just came as one option, so the mounts were as they came out the box in the kit. Guess it doesn't need them, rides just fine. I mean it shakes to holy hell, but i mean its an xs for chirsts sake!

ha :) steaming sneakers... i think my longest push thus far has been about a mile and a half when test piloting new projects, but cumulatively must be approaching 6 miles. builds character, especially when you're 56.

that's a lotta work for a first build padgett. kudos.

Thanks! Not my first build, but my first bobber for sure. It was, however, my first time i pushed a project home!

Old post, but I was wondering how you did the front rake and how far did you move it out? Any pics before the body work? Thanks

I'll see if I can dig up some pics, but the process was easy enough

I took an inch out of the top tube, then nearly cut all the way through the two down tubes. Gave it some heat to help it move, and yanked it back until the gap in the top tube was gone.

And for safety reasons I slugged the top tube cut and added 3mil plate gussets

Then used some fiberglass bodyfiller to hide the horribleness...

...I took an inch out of the top tube, then nearly cut all the way through the two down tubes. Gave it some heat to help it move, and yanked it back until the gap in the top tube was gone.

And for safety reasons I slugged the top tube cut and added 3mil plate gussets

Then used some fiberglass bodyfiller to hide the horribleness...

That's pretty much the way I did mine, 40 years ago. Made the cuts as close to the headtube as possible. Rake angle is now 45°...

Attachments

• DragonNeck.jpg
    DragonNeck.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 214
Looking at this frame, it looks a bit high in the front to me. Do you think removing a small portion of the top tube and cutting it from the bottom to allow everything to move, (creating more rake), would work? I know there are safety issues and it would need to be done correctly, but I think it would help in the stance and appearance of this bike. I probably won't do anything to it, but it's interesting to know if it would work.

Attachments

• 73xs6502.jpg
    73xs6502.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 205
Looking at this frame, it looks a bit high in the front to me. Do you think removing a small portion of the top tube and cutting it from the bottom to allow everything to move, (creating more rake), would work? I know there are safety issues and it would need to be done correctly, but I think it would help in the stance and appearance of this bike. I probably won't do anything to it, but it's interesting to know if it would work.

I'm definitely no expert on this stuff, i mean i've only done one. So i might be the wrong person to ask.

But by creating more rake it would move the front wheel forward which would lower the front of the bike for sure. But again, i'm probably the wrong dude to ask about frame geometry...:wink2:

Back