Finished?

solosailor

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I bought this '75 XS650 in 2010 as another project as I was finishing a 20 yr old HD. Just stuffed it in the cornert because I didnt want parts from two bikes all over. I was planning to do the 'Cafe Racer' mod to the bike but as I took it apart, ( a lot of it was in boxes as it was not running and carbs were off) I found that it was a complete bike; or so I thought. So I had to go restore or close. It has been fun (interesting). But here we are, years later, and its kinda done. Thrilled to order the graphics for a 1975, and find that the fuel tank was from a '78 or later. Took a while to get the timing right but then she fired right up. Oil leak, probably clutch pushrod, but other than that..... We shall see.

Attachments

• IMGP5359.JPG
    IMGP5359.JPG
    303.3 KB · Views: 191
  • IMGP5366.JPG
    IMGP5366.JPG
    309.9 KB · Views: 172
Hi solosailor,
your first ever post said you wanted to sell that bike. Good that you seem to be having second thoughts about that.
The photos show a '75 Standard with a Special tank. No problem, XS650 parts swap like LEGO, but the Special tank is 1 US Gallon smaller.

I posted to sell because I was moving from Florida to Washington. At the time it seemed like the thing to do if I could find someone interested. Too much work for the only one who showed up. Anyway, glad I kept it. The Harley is gone, but this may be a keeper. The tank was just a surprise. I ordered rebuild kits for the petcocks and they were wrong. First warning, but it wasnt until I went to put on the graphics that I realized I had a problem. Looks OK unless you really know the bikes. Not completely stock; mufflers, aircleaners in the stock airboxes, but. Got an Odessey battery on its side in the battery box. Works perfectly. Also found out what powdercoating can do. The battery box and air cleaner boxes look like new (along with all other parts) after a trip to a good powder coating company.

Beautiful piece! Not sure what you started with (sounds like a lot of parts-n'-pieces) but finished product is eye candy.................

Your bike looks great, I love the seat. Did you use a stock seat cover and some radical trimming on the foam?

Bought the cover from LYseat on eBay for 59.95, and then took it to a local upholstery shop that had been recommended, with the seat pan that was on the bike, and thats what came back. The seat on the bike had one of those saddle humps like some of the later bikes so it may not have been original, like lots of the parts as I found as I went along. (tank?). I also was very pleased with the finished seat. Thanks for the comment.

Back