First bike and build

Spartacus

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,

Just bought myself my first motorcycle, it's been a childhood dream of mine for as long as I can remember. I got the 80' Special II, regretted the mag wheels but it'll do for starting. I picked it up from a nice chap up in Queens for only $800 which is great considering the condition it's in. Came with 15k miles and some freebies (new straight bars, grips, little things). I've since cleaned it up nicely, had a little surface rust but it came off easy with some foil, otherwise I'm just trying to get it running smoothly. It's real cold here so I haven't had a chance to take the carbs apart but I have been reading extensively about it for months so I'm fairly confident that I can handle it. Otherwise have a huge list for a cafe build I want to do, I'll definitely make a build thread if anyone would be interested in a build geared towards beginners/budgeters. Anyways, great to be here, heres the only picture I've got right now I'll have to get some better ones with the new bars.

http://imgur.com/9V6TN

welcome sparticus :thumbsup:

Thank god for a cafe racer conversion :D not many about lol.

i'm also new to the XS650 scene and bought a 'box of bits' 79 Special last year.

We look forward to following your conversion thread and don't forget to post lots of pictures :thumbsup: hopefully better than this one !

Attachments

• 81 xs650.jpg
    81 xs650.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 69
Thanks for the warm welcome guys, I will definitely keep yall posted on my build progress, haven't done much because it is frigid up here in CT! I'll be bringing the bike to the mechanic next week to get a full tune-up make sure I'm not going to kill myself on a bike that's falling apart, but any after-market upgrades will be done by me. Thus far I've got a list of a couple dozen practical upgrades and a few aesthetic ones; priorities are in hydraulic clutch, replacing hardware like swingarm bushings/steering wheel bushing, cartridge emulators, new suspension pieces, I'll be powder coating the tank/plastics myself and the seat will come from DimeCityCycles, hopefully done by early June 2013?

Back