First bike build- starting from ground up. Need help!

Tdgbigfoot

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody. I'm building my first bike here. And I could really use some help. After a little look online, it seemed obvious this was the place to look for it!
I've had bikes, and worked plenty on small engines/cars. But this I my first time doing this much building with a bike, and there's a bunch of small spots that I'm stuck on, for lack of knowledge. Help me out if you can!

Bike info-
75? XS650 motor.
Brand new mikunis, not the reproduction types.
Straight pipes custom configured exhaust.
Frame -? Custom cut/welded. Has been all made to bolt to motor/suspension/exhaust perfectly.
Drum brakes, spoke rims and brand new rubber.
Homemade kz style bars.

Ok, so basically I got this bike build in trade for a snowmobile. The guy I got it from spent a few years getting everything together for the bike, making it ready to be unique. Lost interest, and here I am with a 90% all here project. I just need to assemble it.
So far I've finished the frame, meaning paint and all welds. The rear end has a custom plate and air shock.
I am in need of several things, ill list later- has slowed me down a little.
I need help with pictures/explanations of putting wheels on- proper bearings/bushings/end caps, main axle bolts.
Front end- how to attach hub to shocks, bearings I need for steering stem.
Front drum brake assembly, specifically how the linkage goes.
How to make/find a chain tensioner, and put it on the bike.
On the motor, above carbs, two large outlets for hoses of some sort- what are they and where do they go?
Motor is kickstart. But on the bottom, looks like a starter? Or this an alternator?
I do need a wiring diagram, but I think I saw a discussion on here about one, ill check that out.
Where is the oil filter on this motor? Have a new one to put in.
Some insight/opinions on cutting and attaching fenders, have two old school ones to work with.

I will upload pictures, if there are people willing to help me.

List of parts I need, at the moment-
Wiring harness could just pretty much make one myself tho)
Brake cables
Clutch cable
Petcock
Air filters
All shifting linkage/foot pegs
Kickstand spring
Top nut for steering stem
Main swing arm bolt & all amenities
Exhaust/intake gaskets
All necessary bushings/beatings for axles and steering stem

I know I kinda danced all over the place with this, but I just am very unbalanced with so many parts of this build I don't know where to start. Hopefully somebody can help me out here! I would be glad to converse personally via email or whatever with someone if they're particularly inclined to help me out.
Cheers!
Tdg
:wtf:

Posted via Mobile

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 260
Well it looks like a good start.I've never understood why any one would want to remove the shocks and build a bike that is going to beat you to death but to each his own.I am more than willing to help as I can.I have a complete front end from my '81 with machine polished lower leg's.All the hardware and triple clamps are there,I only needed the bearing's.I have more mis. parts left over from my build.If you want to take a ride over to Grafton N.H.I'll take what ever you want to give for what ever you need. Basically if you need it and I have it,it's yours.That would give us a chance to disguse any problems you are having.:bike:

Hey thanks a ton! I will most certainly take you up on this offer. Grafton, that put you up near island pond, Norton area, or am I spacing? I'm biking (as in old style pedal bike!) the state this weekend with a buddy, but maybe sometime after that? Can I pm you on here, or just send you an email?
Again thank you for responding, and offering personal help and, even better, parts!:D

Posted via Mobile

Grafton is about 40 miles west of Lebanon as you fallow Rt 4,exit 17 off I89.Now that I made the offer to you I will hold them for you.If you check my album you will see mine is a striped down chopper,so I have a lot of extra parts.I have parts from other builds too,you'll see when you get here.P.M. is O.K. E-mail also whitemountaincustoms@gmail.com.So dont worry take your timejust let me know when your coming.:bike:

Back