First build on it's way

milldinaire

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is my 1983 Heritage special build. I am fabing this bike with no welding experience or any idea of what I am really doing. So forgive me if some parts aren't very pretty. I figured I would need to learn some time. I started with a Visual Impact brat kit, I really must thank them. no way could I have gotten the curve right myself at this time. I wanted a bike with a low seat position and I think I nailed it.:thumbsup: I was really having a hard time finding upper shock mounts, Haven't found anybody who really makes them. So, I made my own out of the stock studs. I really must tip my hat to those of you who do this stuff for a living. It can get quite challenging and I'm sure I am missing some things along the way.

Anyway this is the beginning and I am real excited about my first build.:bike:

Attachments

• 1297808412375.jpg
    1297808412375.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_20110215_142036.jpg
    IMG_20110215_142036.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_20110226_182759.jpg
    IMG_20110226_182759.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 162
  • 1299367102447.jpg
    1299367102447.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_20110413_165805.jpg
    IMG_20110413_165805.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_20110413_165819.jpg
    IMG_20110413_165819.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
for a guy with no welding experience you've definately jumped in with both feet! Good on ya. These bikes are a lot of fun with a ton of support and this site has been a LOT of help to me. You're gonna have a lot of fun, some frustrations, some "oh SHIT!" moments, but in the end there ain't gonna be a whole lot you don't know about that bike. Enjoy. You're being watched!:D

Thank you. I will aim not to disappoint. Right now I am trying to muster up the courage to cut my swing arm for stretching. That could easily turn into one of those " oh shit" moments.

Thank you. I will aim not to disappoint. Right now I am trying to muster up the courage to cut my swing arm for stretching. That could easily turn into one of those " oh shit" moments.

By "I will not aim to disappoint" I hope you mean yourself, 'cause you're the only one who matters here. you gotta plan for stretching that swingarm?

That's the advantage of building your own ride. You know where everything is and how it got there and what it does and how it does it. Press on!

Been busy last couple of days. Just had a baby girl. I don't have any experience with this also. Yes I had a baby with no experience and I love her and the challenge. I'll be glad to address the posts in this thread once I'm settled down. Hope all bikes are running well and ideas are flowing.

just make sure you sleeve, and rosette weld the swingarm when you do extend it. What size welder are you using? If that is a 110 volt welder in pic 3, turn that sucker all the way up(not the wire speed tho)

Been busy last couple of days. Just had a baby girl. I don't have any experience with this also. Yes I had a baby with no experience and I love her and the challenge. I'll be glad to address the posts in this thread once I'm settled down. Hope all bikes are running well and ideas are flowing.

You will make a lot of mistakes with a baby and no they won't kill you, although you mite find He/She will let you know when he/she grows up.

If you make a mistake with welding your frame and it brakes on you on a ride you may never get to make those mistakes with your child. You may get lucky and be in a vegetative state or a wheelchair, then how are you going to look after you family.

I am pointing out your lack of knowledge is a safety issue for your self, family and any one else you may sell the bike to when you get sick of it or need the money for your family.

Smart arse answers show your contempt for the reality of the situation and your reasoning or listening powers.

Wow skull don't get too carried away with your positive reinforcement. If you didn't come off sounding like such an arse-hole, I might have gotten to asking you for some advice. I'm guessing you aren't the type to hand out any type of assistance. Because you know it all and I know shit about shit. I'm real glad now that I know not to get too excited about my accomplishments on this site. As far as the safety side of things go. I happend to agree with you. To bad your so full of yourself to wait for a response directed to you. Plus, what makes you think I am going to get tired of this sweet bike I am about to have? I bought this bike with 450 miles on it 4 years ago after it sat in someones garage for the duration till I got it and refurbished it. Well enough time wasted.

As far as stretching the swing arm goes. I'm gonna build a jig out of angle iron and pick up some all thread for the spacing of the axle plates. Get some 1 1/8 dom tubing. Cut four pieces 4 inches long and plug weld them before I do the seam. Similar to the visual impact kit when I installed the plugs.

Thank you to all that might be interested in this build. Any help would be great.

Wow skull don't get too carried away with your positive reinforcement. If you didn't come off sounding like such an arse-hole, I might have gotten to asking you for some advice. I'm guessing you aren't the type to hand out any type of assistance. Because you know it all and I know shit about shit. I'm real glad now that I know not to get too excited about my accomplishments on this site. As far as the safety side of things go. I happend to agree with you. To bad your so full of yourself to wait for a response directed to you. Plus, what makes you think I am going to get tired of this sweet bike I am about to have? I bought this bike with 450 miles on it 4 years ago after it sat in someones garage for the duration till I got it and refurbished it. Well enough time wasted.

As far as stretching the swing arm goes. I'm gonna build a jig out of angle iron and pick up some all thread for the spacing of the axle plates. Get some 1 1/8 dom tubing. Cut four pieces 4 inches long and plug weld them before I do the seam. Similar to the visual impact kit when I installed the plugs.

Thank you to all that might be interested in this build. Any help would be great.

It's OK, every 28 days Skull has, shall we say, "an issue". No one has a right to judge your abilities, 'cause no one KNOWS your abilities. And don't judge this group by one member, thanks for sharing.:thumbsup:

Back