First start, running poorly; need advice

oms1981

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I acquired an 82 Special to build into a custom. Old owner had it sitting for 2 summers unused but said it ran great before that. Carbs were gummed up when I got it; wouldn't start.

I put new mufflers on it, Emgo turn out style, very free flowing compare to original; almost straight pipes but not quite. Also installed UNI foam pod filters. Cleaned carbs, replaced all carb gaskets, freed up the stuck float needle, everything inside carbs looks nice and clean now.

The bike started last night on the first kick. I was thrilled. However, it is running poorly. it starts extremely easily, but it will not idle. I have to keep it throttled up or it dies immediately. It's backfiring a little, subtle and infrequent but noticeable. timing sounds a little bit screwy, it just doesnt sound like it's firing quite right.

tonight I'm gonna look at the following:
new spark plugs
valve adjustment
cam tensioning
Checking points gap

looking for other advice. What else could I look at to sort her out? I was also thinking idle mixture adjustment. I don't know much about adjusting timing. Any advice or links to guides or videos would be amazing.

I expected it to be a little bit cranky after increase exhaust flow, and increased air with the pods so I'm not surprised that she's acting up. Im hoping i wont have to re-jet the carbs, but thats in my mind as well. Just looking for some advice. I'm not an experienced bike builder. Thanks for any help everyone!

Your first steps should be

1 Oil change and screen examination
2 Cam cahain adjustment
3 Valve adjustmet
4 Points gap and timing

Also when you make adjustments to the air flow on these ie. pods and an open exhaust jetting changes are usually required.

All the info needed is in the tech section. Read up and enjoy.

Buy a manual. look in the tech menu, easier for you to read up on things before asking questions. In the Engine section there are videos showing how to do the "Cam chain adjustment" and "Setting the valves" and tutorials on points, and the first thing to do is look in "Maintenance and General Troubleshooting" and read all the posts, especially the 2 regarding "buying guide - getting to know your bike" and "Bike wont start, running rough". The last 2 will help you get the things to do in there proper order

You can't clean carbs like dinner plates. It is one of the most common mistakes trying to get an old bike running. The idle jet needs probed (by an alien!) to get the varnish plug out. Use a thin wire, guitar little E or twist tye. First shoot a little carb cleaner on the jet to lube the wire, probe once, shoot carb cleaner through the now opened jet to melt the remainder of the varnish. Avoid the urge to hog out the tiny hole like a horny adolescent.

Lazy man's tip. Pull out the mixture screw and blast carb cleaner inside with the little red hose. It might work.

Tom

Posted via Mobile

Back