First time ( newbie ) build off?

Kinsygrl

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
First time ( newbie ) dirty sock chop-bob-brat-rat build off!

All should be a first time builder bobber, brater, rater. Hardtail weld on kits, milk jug gas tanks, and or anything else is ok to use. So if you have recently started a build or just bought a bike and are looking to start your first one, and would like to enter please pm me. I want to offer a prize of an original painting of the winning bike to the owner and maybe have each person that enters throw in an item of their choice for the prize. Your donated prize can be any item of you choosing even one of your old dirty socks if that's all you can spare.

If you are going to enter, you must PM me with your donation by 6-10-13 midnite eastern time.
This is mainly just for fun and will be judged by a vote of any members that wish to vote!
Tentatively the deadline will set for September 1st.
If you feel you will not be able to make it don't worry we will cross that bridge when we get to it.

Hope to see a few more folks jump on on this !

Last edited:
Sounds good to me! Count me in!! Gives me a reason to ACTUALLY build mine!!

How long will we have? Not sure how quick I'll be TBH!!:D

Who will do the painting? Sounds great! Also, what do we do for "additionall" prizes off the contestants? Will they have to be bike related?? And what is the "spend limit"?

Ill make the deadline to enter Friday. And because I've never built one from the ground up I'm not sure how long it should take, but I also want to give anyone entering with a timeline budget (ie. me) a fair amount of time. Technically i started two days ago, nothing serious just tearing it all down. I'm thinking 3-4 months?

I'm in, it's in progress. If the winner is a vote then I have as good a chance as anyone. If the winner is who actually "built" the most then i like my odds. Never worked with metal before this project aside from making the weld cart for the welder as a first project.

Myself I don't consider choping a frame building, starting with paper and pencil with zero to reuse is building. Figuring the whole thing out. What most people does chop and reuse 90% of what is there, hence the term chopper. Amost everyone buys a tail section as opposed to jigging ne and makingit custom and unique. Building is different than choping. I suspect you mean a chop off not a build off.

How is the winner determined?

Here is my build.
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27821

I realize some may do more or less actual fabrication, but to me I don't want to limit or disqualify someone because they didn't fab the entire thing. I work at a fab shop and have the ability to hand make everything. I mean I could throw together a jig and build a frame but to me ins kinda reinventing the wheel as well as adding a lot of time. I would absolutely love some day to build one from scratch someday but for my first bike, and for the sake of making the contest more user friendly, IDE like to make the only rule be that what ever you do to the bike is done by you and not paid to have done for you.
Ultimately I think it should be the final outcome and overall craftsmanship. If you feel you will have it do to the amount of personal fab then I'd encourage you, please join in! Final rules and info will be posted tomorrow.

Mostly I thought it would get a few of us first time guys to go through the experience together and share in the learning process. I'm very open to input on time line and any other aspects to make it fun, fair, and interesting.

I will be watching your build threads as they go. I got my 74 about a month ago but havent started yet and still a month or so out before its a go and will probably be about a yr in the build side as Im very limited on funds. Good luck everyone.

I realize some may do more or less actual fabrication, but to me I don't want to limit or disqualify someone because they didn't fab the entire thing. I work at a fab shop and have the ability to hand make everything. I mean I could throw together a jig and build a frame but to me ins kinda reinventing the wheel as well as adding a lot of time. I would absolutely love some day to build one from scratch someday but for my first bike, and for the sake of making the contest more user friendly, IDE like to make the only rule be that what ever you do to the bike is done by you and not paid to have done for you.
Ultimately I think it should be the final outcome and overall craftsmanship. If you feel you will have it do to the amount of personal fab then I'd encourage you, please join in! Final rules and info will be posted tomorrow.

Mostly I thought it would get a few of us first time guys to go through the experience together and share in the learning process. I'm very open to input on time line and any other aspects to make it fun, fair, and interesting.

I think you should be a bit more lenient on the rules. I for one do NOT have a workshop with all kinds of fancy milling machines, so that would mean I can't enter once again. What I plan on dong, I will have to have SOME outside help as I need spacers made, frame blasted, possibly wheels spoked, I'm not sure yet. But I will be rebuilding the engine myself, and put all the bits together to make the bike the way I'd like it to be.

How about anyone who has never built a bike before can enter, irrelevant if most of it is bought? Originality and doing things yourself could always be a bonus point or something like that. I would LOVE to do all myself but I just can't.

Put up some rules that are open to discussion, then we will go from there!:thumbsup:

I gotcha Wolfie... Honestly I just want to get some of us newbies in on a build together so Ill loosen the rules a bit... It's really just for fun any way!

Yeah man! Unfortunately some people take things too seriously! We should just build, and say the only rule is it HAS to be your FIRST EVER build! Simples.

Throw your wallet at it, who cares, lets have some fun participating in a build off!

All should be a first time builder bobber, brater, rater. Hardtail weld on kits, milk jug gas tanks, and or anything else is ok to use. So if you have recently started a build or just bought a bike and are looking to start your first one, and would like to enter please pm me. I want to offer a prize of an original painting of the winning bike to the owner and maybe have each person that enters throw in an item of their choice for the prize. Your donated prize can be any item of you choosing even one of your old dirty socks if that's all you can spare.

If you are going to enter, you must PM me with your donation by 6-10-13 midnite eastern time.
This is mainly just for fun and will be judged by a vote of any members that wish to vote!
Tentatively the deadline will set for September 1st.
If you feel you will not be able to make it don't worry we will cross that bridge when we get to it.

Hope to see a few more folks jump on on this !

Yes I need pm from those who want to enter and their donation!

So where do we post progress? Here, or are we starting a new thread??

Here is what I got so far............

9176700559_8bb733eef2_b.jpg

And a link to my build...

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26888

Here is mine as of now. Thats just a mockup motor in there

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1376350022243.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1376350022243.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 104
  • uploadfromtaptalk1376350037720.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1376350037720.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 140