First Time Startup After Rebuild

hutch08

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So my frame is off to the powdercoaters, and i'll soon be at the re-assembly stage. Over the winter I rebuilt the engine due to a chewed cam chain guide. While I was in there i "freshened" up the top end. Nothing extensive just the usual new rings, gaskets, seals, lapped the valves, all that good stuff...

I've rebuilt many 2-stroke dirtbikes before, but never a 79 XS... Is there any tips or tricks that I should know before I go ahead and try to fire this up. Any last minute items i should go over, oils, settings, etc..

The worst part I think is the fact that it was a bike that ran great before I tore it down, now i'm gonna be starting it with open headers, mikes PWK's and a pamco ignition. All of which are not tuned together so I'm guaranteed to have some sort of issue..

Any valuable information would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Whatever issues you have will be within those carbs and I have NO idea what to tell you about those!! :D Looking forward to the video and pics though!

Not sure if I posted a picture on here recently, but this is the most current one. Minus an electronic bag and battery box. Carb manifolds are also upside are backwards so the carbs are pointed up. The signals/brake lights didnt work out on the axle plate, now mounted on a tab directly under the fender mounts. Bike is now torn down and sent for powder, still havent decided on the tins...

[/IMG]

Attachments

• 2011-03-09111916.jpg
    2011-03-09111916.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 2
tune your carbs, cam chain adjust, valve adjust, 20w50 oil, electrical, everything torqued correctly, the list is long, but not too bad.

nice looking bike...ardcore frame?

yeah thats an ardcore frame.

I think I once read something about priming the oil pump by pouring oil down the hole for the topend oil line. Any truth to this?

Went to adjust my valves but I think I misplaced my feeler gauges..
Have to buy another set...

Before the first time that I kicked mine I kicked it 'softly' a few times to get the juices going a little bit, then I flipped the switch to kick it for real. I don't know if it did anything tho.

Back