First xs build

wow! amazing energy level you have.
:) lol!!!!! I feel like such a slug...
The detail you put into your write-up is much appreciated. Wish I could just make decisions and follow through like you did. Looks like you put the engine in and out a couple times...did you have help doing that?
Also how many builds have you done? seems you really knew what you wanted and went for it.
'cool!
Funny how you mentioned that it seems to you that going with a rear disc set-up would ahve been easier - at this point, with my rear disc set-up, I always think a DRUM woulda been much simpler!

So is that starter solenoid you have mounted outside the battery box?

Also, do your chain adjusters stay up pretty good? they don't tend to swivel down?

Innaresting where you mounted your coil....I guess I thought it HAD to be up under the gas tank for some reason...but really: WHY? so thats cool you think outside the box and that you have the skill and ENERGY to follow through.
Cool! good for you!

At 1st I was tempted to complain that you "killed" such a nice stock bike - but you made a REALLY nice clean chop out of it.

Hope to see more.

Wow, I wish I had even 1/10th of your energy level.

:)

I don't really have that much energy the speed of the build was mostly out of necessity..

My boss won't allow you to keep personal projects in the shop overnight.. So I had to load all the parts for the day into the back of my Element and haul it to work unload work on it re-load and go home every day I worked on it..

Also the wife was not to impressed with me building the bike in my formal living room,So that part had to happen real fast...

If I don't stay super focused on a project it will never be finished either.

A I loaded the motor in and out several times ,and yes it was all me... I am a welder by trade and move heavy steel all day long. So I know how to finesse heavy items without having to put my back into it..

Yes that is a starter solenoid mounted to the batt box.

The axle bolt holds the adjusters in place.

I have a brat build that I am 85-90 % through with now and will post a thread on it soon.

Next project is a 1980 XS650 that will become a drop-seat bike..

What speedometer are you running on your bike? Or where can I get one I guess is what I should be asking.
Nice bike you built!... Was wondering if you were married when I saw the bike in the house, haha!

The motor had a fresh top end build on it when I bought the bike,So it was ready to go..

The speedo is from Mikes xs..
Yes I am married she fought with me on it a bit but all the parts were new or spotless clean when I hauled them in the house,,

Awesome thread, I'm just now seeing it.

I notice you mounted your rectifier, regulator sideways on the backbone of the frame. Did you use existing mounts or did you drill and tap the frame?

Well, awesome use of the stock mount. Not to threadjack, but is the stock mount for the rect/reg normAlly located on the backbone?

It is on the crossmember under the tank on a stock XS

Edit.. I for the life of me thought you were talking about the coil???

Last edited:
You did the whole build in 6 weeks... Man I've spent 6 weeks on mine and got a rear fender mounted, hardtailed, batt box, seat pan made and a rough shaped tanked wheeled that just doesnt look anything like what I wanted it to look like at all!!! LOST AT THIS POINT!!! That BOB is what all jap. bikes should look like.... Great job!!

I had my Tattoo buddy take my wheels and tires out to the local Harley shop to have them mounted and balanced today..

He had it done in 1 hour free tubes,rim strips and mount and balance FOR FREE!!!!

Tattoo guy's git great connections.....

zzzteardown1wwwww1023.jpg

Hi, good looking bike, by the way, were you buy the tires? Brand? Model??? thanks

Back