Fix e starter clip - What tools will i need?

estcstm3

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
HI All,

I have a 75 and the estarter doesn't work, it grinds but never catches. I am going to try the vice the starter clip to regain the tension.

What tools will I need, definitely let me know if there are any specialty tools that I will need.

Thanks in advance.

You're going to have to remove the clutch to get at the starter gears and that clip. To do that, you'll need one of those hand held impacts you hit with a hammer to get the clutch spring screws out, then some sort of holding device for the main hub so it doesn't spin while you remove/install the big nut at it's center that holds it on. And if you want to get technical, you should have an inch/pound torque wrench so you can torque the Allen screws equally on that right cover when you re-install it to insure no leaks.

thanks.

1) I have a handheld impact screwdriver
2) Got torque wrench
3) ahh a holding device, dont have that. Is this something I can pickup at auto zone? or do I need to get this from Mikes? Really dont want to pay shipping for one tool.

Thanks.

In a pinch, you can slide one of the steel plates back in then stick several pairs of vice grips through the slots in the outer hub and grip the plate. The more pairs of grips you use, the better. Something like 3 to 4 is best.

Interesting option....but only have one vise grip. =( still building up my tool supply. It will come with time. As frustrating as it is (self inflicted), I have really enjoyed working on my bike.

Back