Fix Stock Charging System or Buy A PMA

I don't even think an o-ring chain is needed on this bike. It's only around 50HP, maybe a few less, so a standard chain works just fine. Yes, many of us change the gearing slightly, dropping the rear a tooth or two. But that's it, much more and you start losing the "fun factor", the nice "lunge" you get in the lower gears. I like the 33T on my 18" rear wheel. If you have a 16" rear, a 32T will work fine too.

I don't even think an o-ring chain is needed on this bike. It's only around 50HP, maybe a few less, so a standard chain works just fine. Yes, many of us change the gearing slightly, dropping the rear a tooth or two. But that's it, much more and you start losing the "fun factor", the nice "lunge" you get in the lower gears. I like the 33T on my 18" rear wheel. If you have a 16" rear, a 32T will work fine too.
I guess that a #530 chain is even more overkill on a low powered bike like the XS. I would definitely go for a #520 conversion, with a quality O-ring chain. Getting the same lifetime out of a non O-ring chain will require extreme maintenance, especially when riding in rain or on dirt roads. A good #520 O-ring chain is actually strong enough for 80+ hp bikes! And you will lose some unsprung weight as well.

Back