Flasher can question

xsmoley

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi everybody !
Need your expertise regarding my flasher unit. Have all but finished restoring my 75 XS650B (all standard) and the only thing left is my turn signals. Had the classic symptoms of one side working and the other not. All bulbs have been replaced and all other electrics are working fine. I removed the original flasher unit (3 pin) and could see that it had been messed with and opened by the PO. I ordered a replacement (3 pin) from YAMBITS here in the UK (it is much smaller than the original but hey 37 years of technological advance will do that to ya) plugged it in and turned it on. My neutral light flickered a couple of times a small amout of smoke trickled out of the new unit and then the main fuse (15amp) blew :shrug: Can anyone tell me what I have done wrong please or is it a faulty part that I should chase up with YAMBITS ?
Thanks for your help
Dave.

Attachments

• flasher socket.jpg
    flasher socket.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 75
  • original can.jpg
    original can.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 78
  • replacement.jpg
    replacement.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 101
Hi everybody !
Need your expertise regarding my flasher unit. Have all but finished restoring my 75 XS650B (all standard) and the only thing left is my turn signals. Had the classic symptoms of one side working and the other not. All bulbs have been replaced and all other electrics are working fine. I removed the original flasher unit (3 pin) and could see that it had been messed with and opened by the PO. I ordered a replacement (3 pin) from YAMBITS here in the UK (it is much smaller than the original but hey 37 years of technological advance will do that to ya) plugged it in and turned it on. My neutral light flickered a couple of times a small amout of smoke trickled out of the new unit and then the main fuse (15amp) blew :shrug: Can anyone tell me what I have done wrong please or is it a faulty part that I should chase up with YAMBITS ?
Thanks for your help
Dave.

My guess is that you have a short circuit in the turn signals. The new flasher unit smoked because you were drawing too much amps. That new flasher may be toast now, but I doubt it was defective itself.

The turn signal sockets have deteriorated over time. Remove the signal bulbs and take a careful look for corrosion/nasty green stuff in the sockets. The wire entering the turn signal can short out as well. Also, its not unheard of having a bad bulb, even though its new.

Hi thanks for the reply. you could be right about a short in the circuit but I think it will be in the bullet connectors as I had to buy replacement turn signals (repro pattern) as the PO had managed to brake them all. I will get the continuity tester out in the morning !

Make sure the pins are the same on the back of both units. I ran into that issue, two of the pins on the new flasher were different than the old one. Didn't blow anything up on mine though... just a thought.

I went the easy way eventually...

~ Derek

Back