Flat black paint and clear coat?

dinger59

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just painted frame flat black.Someone said I should clear coat it? Does anyone have any pics of what this would look likeeeee? Or is it even nessary

If you want to keep the flat black finish, just add a flattener to the clear. Once its dry the matting agent will bring the clear to a matte finish.

Thew reason paint shave the finish they do is because of the surface of the cured/dried paint. Gloss will be extra smooth so much off the light bounces back towards your eyes. Flat is going to be very porous so the light get refracted in many directions.If you use a gloss clear, you will achieve a much smoother end finish than with the flat paint only. It will be very shiny in comparison. If you want a flat finish, but protected by clear, you need clear that has the finish you desire. Getting matt or semi-gloss is available in spray cans. I haven't seen a true flat in a can, but maybe. You can spray a very flat clear with spray equipment though, but I'm guessing that isn't a possibility by your initial question.

Back