Float bowl gaskets for BS38's part# 256-19840-00-00

I use those all the time. They aren't the greatest, but they are better than making your own. Two issues:
The fit can be a little off -- slightly too big -- so you have to carefully fit and persuade and squeeze them into place.
They can become stuck to both the surface of the float bowl and the body, and will become damaged when you take the float bowl off. The solution is to soak them in motor oil, or to grease them -- I believe 5twins and gggGary have advocated one or both methods. I have tried both, and they work just fine if you take this precaution.

NOS are readily available, for example from boats.net if you don't mind paying over $20 each with shipping.

I used the gaskets from that seller as well; they fit just fine in my case. Haven't had to take the bowls off again so can't say if they stick or not. No leaks, so I'm happy with them.

NOS are readily available, for example from boats.net if you don't mind paying over $20 each with shipping.

Yes now that I figured out there is a typo for the 77 models.
The part # in the title line is bogus.
The correct part number(as found for the 76 and 79) is 256-14984-00-00.

I'm glad that mystery got figured out, but it must depend on who's parts drawings you're looking at. biker.net has the right number for a '77. So does ronniesmailorder.com which is now my most trusted and reliable source for parts drawings. I couldn't find a drawing with a typo.

Yamaha's site.
https://www.shopyamaha.com/parts-catalog/lines
So when you call the dealers . . . . you get "sorry not available".

ronniesmailorder has the same (wrong) info. for the specific "D" model carb. Here is a screen shot.

Attachments

• 77d carb schematic.jpg
    77d carb schematic.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 247
Back