Float needle clip theory

apox

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Ok, before you read the rest of this answer this "does the float needle clip have to be rotated to a certain direction?" otherwise read my theory. Ok while putting my bs34 carbs back together I noticed on the float needle the clip can be rotated, and the two sides are different, one side it'll be a little closer to the back of the float tang, and the other will be further up on the float tang. Now once the tang is set, It sits on an angle, this would change the float height depending on which way you rotate/position the float needle clip.

I may just be over thinking this but it sounds good in my head! ... I'm at work and don't have the carbs infront of me, got XceSsive650 on the brain though...

So I guess what im saying is, always recheck your float height if you don't remember which way your float valve positioned. It will change the setting by probably 1-2mm (not tested)

Are you sure the tang doesn't rest on the pin in the center, regardless of how the wire is turned?

You mean the little wire on the needle that slips over the float tang? I have mine with the "bends" forward or towards the center. It looks kinda like a "B". Flat side back. It will fall off the tang if you remove the floats. Good thing to know what position before removing them.

I don't think it matters which way you face the clip and it shouldn't alter float height at all. If it really was important, I think it would be mentioned in one of the manuals somewhere. The clip keeps the needle from falling out when the float drops all the way and also pulls the needle out of the seat as the float drops. Metal float needles never had this clip but maybe the rubber tipped variety could stick shut in the hole if not pulled?

Got me thinking now. I don't think it would matter really. Your allowed a + or - of 1mm on the BS34's. I'm gonna check when I get home. I can see the rubber tip getting stuck too. The varilian?? Can't remember the material, but I have a couple that are stuck and the rubber has become sticky. Probably from solvents.

Ya.. I guess in my head I'm looking at it on the table upside down.. So it's as you said stopping it from falling out instead of the otherway that presses the needle. Which in that case shouldn't effect height.

Glad to have that cleared up,
Thanks

The other day I noticed that if the needles I was using were facing one way, part of the clip on the needle came real close to the sleeve the float pin goes through, possibly being able to catch on it. So I would say face any protrusions on the clip away from the pin as a rule.

Back