float needle

copernicusdan

XS650 Member
Reaction score
ordered a carb rebuild kit
should be in today, not sure about the float needle,read the carb guide a few times, and checked here, i think the new one says it pushes in, is there no adjustment to it?
havent pulled old ones yet, but as far as i can tell i just unscrew them, maybe spray some cleaner and air in the and then put in new one
81 650
watched video, think i get it now, i was looking at something else, the brass screw by that rubber plug, whats that

Last edited:
Hi dan and welcome,
yeah, unscrew the fastener, don't lose the little half-circle clip that holds the seat in and the seat just pulls out like a loose tooth.
the black rubber top hat shape plug inside the float bowl that seals off the slow running jet access hole? Brass screw with a screwdriver slot across it and a number on it? That's the main jet.

The brass "screw" is most likely your main jet .....

PilotRubberPlug.jpg

Although many carbs do have screw-in float needle seats, your BS34s do not. They use a push-in type held in place by a little screw and clip. They use an o-ring to seal them into the carb body. You'll see what I mean once you have the parts in hand and are looking at your carbs.

FloatSeatAssembly.jpg

The rebuild kits contain aftermarket parts and the quality is not always the best. The original Viton rubber tipped float needles are very good and long lasting. I wouldn't replace them with a questionable aftermarket item unless I was sure the old ones were bad. However, you may need to replace the o-ring on the seat body. They do go bad with age.

There is no adjustment on the seat and needle. You adjust the little tab or "tang" on the float by slightly bending it to alter the fuel level in the bowls .....

FloatTang2.jpg

FloatSettings.jpg

thanks, pulled float seat, looked like someone crumbled up a cigarette in there,
didn't mess with pilot jets, didn't have right size screw driver, looked like someone else already tried the one an messed up the head, and didn't see a way to remove main jet, so i just cleaned it all as best i could and put it back together

Back