Floats wont come out!

TRYGAR

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im trying to change out my floats but the float hinge pins are flat on both ends so I cant tap it out. Any ideas?

I'm trying toreplace my Carburetor Float Valve (Needle & Seat) but cant unless I can figure out how to remove the plastic float.

Im afraid to break anything important

On the BS38's? On mine the pin just slid out to either side. If stuck use a bit of PB Blaster, let it soak. I have a spring loaded center punch that works well for these pins.
On my BS34 they only fit one way. I use the same procedure with them.
Leo

When I reassemble my carbs I lightly push the pin in my hand and call it good. The pin is captured and cant come out so there is no need to hammer it in. My XS1100 has one carb with a broken post because it was in there so hard and I wan not "Patient" removing it.

Ive always recommended a small jewellers punch. You can buy sets online for watch repair for a few dollars. Very handy for carbs.

Stop, do not make it worse. How I wish I have heeded that myself a bunch of times.
OK as mentioned broken posts happen and it doesn't take much.
What carbs do you have? From your avatar looks like a BS34 model.
ON BS34s the pins have a head on one end, that end of the pin is a push fit into that post's hole. Ideal to remove them is a tool like this.

float%20pin%20tool.JPG

If the pin can be removed from these disaster carbs it will come out of ANY carb....
Second best for those that aren't into fancy tool building is to arrange a support for the post THEN tap on a light punch (DIY punch; grind a drywall screw) you only need to push the pin about 3/8" before it frees up. Two people or three arms make this easier to arrange. As always some WD or PB Blaster will speed things up.
If you use a punch, SUPPORT the post. Don't make it worse. Please tell us how it came out?

Yeah I just used my little punch a few times and they ended up coming out. But that tool is genius, I wish I would have found that before I punched them out, the tool is a much safer way to remove those pins for sure.

Back