FNG here

got556

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys....FNG here!

Great site w/ lots of information.

I'm Pat, and been around bikes my whole life....from dirt to street and looking to get an XS build going on.

I've been saving a bit for a Duc 749R but not having much luck finding on for a decent price at the moment so in the mean time (since I am bikeless...) going to build a brat style (something to the effects of Metal Soul Engineerings brats).

I suck at welding (grew up on a farm and dad tried teaching me many times lol). Also living in Chicago in a studio apartment adds to the trials and tribs of finding a place to weld. So I will probably be getting the frame work contracted out.

Currently working at the fed joint as a CO w/ the Bureau of Prisons....so w/ work and OT keeping me busy constantly this will probably be a slow build.

Just wanted to introduce myself and say hey! BTW for my build I'm gonna try to keep it under 3 grand for the time being (including price of the bike and will probably be building this in my studio apartment...on the second floor lol). What we do for the love of our toys right?

Anyways...prior toys have been and still have a '69 Mustang w/ a 306 set up w/ some N20, a 350Z fully modded (sold), dirt bikes from 80's to 450's, Yammy R6 (sold) and an FX4 w/ a 6" Fabtech kit (sold), an 86 Saab 900 (sold) that I build the bottom end up and turbo'd...ugly as hell but she was fun. I've been all over the place w/ my projects but I'm not afraid to wrench, just don't have a lot of room. Look foward to getting know some of you and hopefully I can meet up with the Chi city guys.

If you're in the city...hit me up I'm around Clark and Halsted.

Thanks Travis and azman. Would love to buy one of your universal builds but after browsing the Half Fast Chicago forum and on here, there aren't too many around here that can do the proper welding needed. I contacted Metal Soul Engineering today to get a quote about doing a brat frame like his w/ the seat the hugs the rear fender and dropping the seat frame about 2". Looks like he appeared to rake the frame a bit also. Just emailed him today so hoping to hear back from him soon. :) Not a lot of XS's for sale around the Chicago area either. I could care less what it looks like as long as the frame is structurally sound and the motor runs well.

Also, never done it before but I'm guessing lacing wire wheels is a bit of a P.I.T.A. but I'm willing to try it. Would love to do a flat light blue on the tank and fender and red wheels w/ thick white walls. Just can't decide on frame color and header/exhaust wrap color....white more than likely for the exhaust wrap, and just not sure if black would flow well on the frame, but more so I'm almost positive a white frame would look worse.

As they usually do, this intro thread turned into motorcycle discussion so I moved it to The Garage :bike:

Anyway, my hardtail kits cater to a very slim market of builders.. they are not for everyone that's for sure.

Have you tried putting a want ad on craigslist for an XS650? I've done that and have had great results!

There is some info here on lacing wheels... try the search box in the upper right.

:cheers:

May try that Travis and thanks for the move. I've always been anal for some reason about making sure I post topics in the right section of the forums. At first my OP was neither here nor there lol. But like you said quickly turned to a bike thread.

I will definitely post a WTB ad here shortly. Ebay has some decent deals but I don't like buying mechanical stuff sight unseen.

Baraboo isn't too far and I have a few "candidates". There are a couple on here can vouch for me I think.......

Awesome...I'm at work right now so I can't check my email but if you want you can PM me a few "candidates". Would love to get right on this. :) I've done or wanted to start a lot of projects and end up not getting around to it or something new comes up (I'm sure we've all been there) but I MISSSSS riding. So if you don't mind just shoot me a PM and I'll be glad to check them out. W/ over 2K posts gggGary I'm pretty sure I can trust your input :)

Hey guys...well first I'd like to thank you all again for the replies and secondly thank gggGary for the email correspondance. Looks like I'm getting my XS. An '83 Heritage in pretty darn good condition for a good price. Told the PO today that I would buy it so I just gotta fwd him the cash once I find out how he wants paid and then pick it up.

My plans for this bike are somewhat simple (Going to be somewhat like Metal Soul Engineerings "Bratty Bob"

-2 to 3" drop on the seat.
-Swapping spoked wheels to mag wheels and painting them black
-Short rear fender that barely goes past the frame
-Two up style seat I'm hoping to make myself
-Black drag bars
-Hoping to use one of my smaller .30 cal ammo cans for the electric box
-A light matte blue on the tank and fender
-Lower the shocks an inch or so and black out the outer tubes
-Fork gators
-Re do the rear strut/shock mounts to angle them more towards the front
-Honda rebel rear struts/shocks
-Use stock exhaust and cut them right after the bend when they start going towards back
-Wrap exhaust w/ black header wrap
-CRG Lane Splitters mounted to the end of the bars

Jeeez I haven't even got this bike yet but I'm already wanting to get another one and do a cafe build and try to squeeze a smaller Multistrada/Supersport/Monster motor in it lol.

So those are the plans. Gonna start hitting up some of the local Chicago web forums/clubs and see if anyone would be willing to help me w/ the frame.

Will have a build thread when I get the bike. :)
-Build a speedo bracket/mount and mount it below the bars in between the tripples

Thats all I can think of for now. I just need to find someone to do the frame (cut and weld) for me.

ETA: Just spoke w/ the owner and paying for/picking up the bike Wednesday of this week!!! Holy crap I'm excited!!!! Now I just need to get my M License in IL. I used to have it but moved to Indiana for a few years and therefore when giving up my citizenship in IL they got rid of my M license also. :( Probably take care of that this week also. Maybe Tuesday if I can find a DMV in the area that gives the written tests. Then I can at least have the motorcyle permit to ride during the day. And then sign up for a Ride Chicago MSF class and get the full M license...

Last edited:
Back