Intro from a rookie

Crewsin

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'm brand new to the forum and thought it a good idea to join after being given a 650 special a few weeks ago. After doing a bit of research, I'm really excited to tear it apart and make it my own.

The bike had been sitting outside for the last 3 years, but it was supposedly running before it was retired to the backyard. The friend who gave it to me --he was been given the bike from someone else -- had dropped it off at a local shop to get an estimate to get the thing running, and after considering the $1200 minimum estimate, he decided to give it to me instead of dropping the money on something he wasn't really that excited about. After speaking to the owner of the shop, I've determined that the motor has good compression, the brakes were seized, a bit of rust and a whole lot of grime, a shift lever that's been welded into place and a tank that's seen better days.

I've been a motorcycle lover my whole life, had a nightster that I rode everywhere as well as a couple of dirt bikes, and I've always wanted to do a semi-custom build with a vintage type bike. This thing fits the bill. I'm currently breaking it down and should have the motor out for a good cleaning while the frame goes to get powder coated next week. The plan is to turn it into a cafe/brat bike.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and say thanks for the info ahead of time as I'm sure I'll be using the forum quite a bit.

Welcome aboard.
Your first post has committed a cardinal error on this site - no pictures!
And tell us more about the shifter welded in place.

Sorry, here's a pic from before I started breaking it down, and where in at with it now. Motor is coming out tomorrow
20160729_120033.jpg
Screenshot_2016-08-22-10-13-47-1.png

As far as the shifter goes, there's not much more to say except that someone welded it on to the shaft. I'm not quite sure how to proceed with that, but it is going to come of one way or another. I'm out of town until tonight, but I'll post a close up of it when I get home so you can see exactly what I'm talking about.

Thank you for the pics, looks like a solid start.
Let's hope the weld didn't penetrate too far, there is only a bit of surplus material there. But you know, no matter how weird, incompetent, deranged or just plain stupid a thing a previous owner has done, some of the more long standing members here will have seen something even further out there and more importantly, will know the fix.

Hi crewsin and welcome,
Apart from the shifter being welded in place (And even that's OK until you need to remove the leftside cover casting) that bike looks good to go.
Getting the shifter off:- Grind the weld off flush and if there's still weld metal there try using a small diameter metal-cutting holesaw to dig it out.
Note that the M6 clamping bolt must be completely removed before the shifter will pull off.
If the shaft & shifter are FUBAR enough to need replacing the parts are not horribly expensive.
It was the hassle of removal & replacement that drove me to the alternative of drilling 1/8" diameter axially between the shifter and the shaft and driving a roll-pin in there.

Last edited:
Thanks, guys/gals! Here's a pic of the shifter. I've got a buddy en route now to help with pulling the motor out today after we grind that thing off. Hoping it'll be an easy fix, but I've got all day and plan on using it if necessary.
20160824_081259.jpg

Shifter came off after about 15 minutes with a grinder. Motor was out about an hour after that. Now it's time to get to work on cleaning the motor and replacing the shifter shaft (not sure if that's what it's called).
20160824_123210.jpg
20160824_123223.jpg
20160824_122708.jpg

I took the motor out so I can get the frame coated and for easy access to check that everything is in order while getting it nice and clean. As far as I know, the top end is in good shape, compression is good and it was running well without any mechanical problems before it was left to sit and collect dust and rust.

Back