For forks sake.....:o)

snailstoves

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had this xs650 custom for 1 year, i love it. Except for the sub standard clutch and alternator. But my problem is this...

I'm replacing the fork seals. All going well until i tried to undo the allen bolt on the bottom of the fork stanchions. It feels like the inner piece to which the bolt connects is spinning as well. Any idea's? I've tried compressing the forks, decompressing them. I'm now thinking of drilling out the offending bolts and messing around down that route.

Can anyone think of a way to lock the inner piece without damaging it?

Thanks in advance.

You guys are great.

Smiffy, uk

Hi, i wish i could answer you. It's a home custom, a real bitsa. The engine i know is a 82 SE us import. The frame is anyones guess. It has extended forks on but i'm pretty sure the bottoms are standard. Though having said that, they don't quite match up with Any of the diagrams in my clymer. I'm now following the leads in this thread. 17mm nut job :eek:)

thanks, smiffy

The damper rods are 2 different types (in north america).

78 to 83 years have a top that looks like a 12 point socket, so a nut will fit in nicely. Can use a 7/16" nut ( 0.679" across the flats) or a 17 mm.

70 to 77 years have a top that is shaped like a bolt head. The flats are 10 mm across. Use a flattened piece of tubing that wil fit over the 10 mm flats.

PS Early year forks are only 34 mm stantions, while the later forks are 35 mm stantions, so that may help you.

Last edited:
Hi, i wish i could answer you. It's a home custom, a real bitsa. The engine i know is a 82 SE us import. The frame is anyones guess. It has extended forks on but i'm pretty sure the bottoms are standard. Though having said that, they don't quite match up with Any of the diagrams in my clymer. I'm now following the leads in this thread. 17mm nut job :eek:)

thanks, smiffy

If you think something is different than the norm, posting pics is the way to go. Glad you found the thread you are following, posted 17 min before yours:D

Thanks folks, it's hard to tell at this stage, squinting down the tube with a head torch, could be either The 'nut' type or with flats or neither. Glad 'retiredgentleman' was there with that info. If i'da tried the nut and it didn't work i might've torn out a lump. If it's not the norm, very possibly, i'll try an get a pic.

Cheers

smiffy

Thanks everybody, the new fork seals are in. I used the 17mm-nut-welded-to-a-rod technique. Worked a treat.

This is the beauty of these forums. I'd never have worked that out. And the response time to my question was astounding.

Thanks again

smiffy

Back