fork boots

uknowme2goog

XS650,1980, Bobber
Reaction score
I was thinking about installing a set of fork boots (gaitor)on my 1980, XS650. I have a set of factory forks. Has anyone ever installed a set and how hard are they to install?
I saw a set from MikesXS for $24.00... anyone have any pictures of a before and after?

Hey uknowme2goog, I put a set on mine. They were pretty easy to install. I bought mine from 650central. I installed them when I was rebuilding my forks.
Here's a couple of pics.
DSCN0375.jpg

DSCN0379.jpg

Hi...you dont need a set of upper and lower clamps to hold them in place. Did you have to remove the tire, front brake and forks to install? they look really good?

Think the size boot i need is as follows:
top 33mm
bottom 43mm
compressed 82mm
extended 184mm

I used a zip-tie on the bottoms,they were a pretty snug fit. I might wind up using a tie on the top later though.You'll have to remove the forks to install them.The ones that jayel listed look to be a good choice too and cheaper than what I payed for mine.:thumbsup:

Yes, truck shock gaiters, been using them for years. I like the rounded bellows better than the sharp, pointy ones. Also like them to look "correct", not all bunched up (which means they're too long for the application). The truck shock gaiters are too long for the 650 forks but you simply cut a few bellows off the top.

ForkGaiters.jpg

The top and bottom are perfect fits on the 650 lower and tubes. Of course, if you cut the top off, you lose that - but there's a way, quite ingenious if I say so myself, to shorten them and retain that perfectly fitting top. Cut the top with one bellow off .....

GaiterTop.jpg

Now trim a few more bellows off to get the length you need. Then insert that top "collar" w/one bellow into the top of the lower section you've just cut to length .....

GaiterTop2.jpg

You end up with a perfectly fitting, proper length gaiter. You need no clamps they fit so well but can add one at the bottom for "looks". You can't beat them for $4 a pair, and they are available in a multitude of colors.

I thought that the Rancho truck shock gators from Advance for $4 were my little secret... I have used many, many pairs of them... They look better, work better, and are cheaper than anything else out there.
I usually add a small "relief hole" in the back of one of the bellows so that air can get in and out as they expand and contract. I think you have to do this to all shock gators. This keeps them from collapsing from partial vacuum.

The boots I use come with vent holes, a pair at the top and a pair at the bottom. Of course, you end up blocking the top pair but the bottom pair seems to be more than enough. I face them to the rear on install .....

BootVents.jpg

Back