Fork Lowers Wall Thickness

Rider_onthe_Storm

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey there everyone,

Searched the forums and couldn't quite find an answer:

What is the wall thickness of the 35mm fork lowers? I'm going to start the process of shaving them, and would like to know how much material I have to work with. Thanks!

I can't tell you how thick the are but I think you cab figure it out easy enough. The inside diameter of the lowers will be a bit larger than the upper tubes.
Your fork tubes will be 34 or 35 mm. The outside of your lower is 50 mm just above the fender mounts.
50-35=15 so wall thickness is about 7.5 mm thick
How thin can the walls be to be safe to use.
If I were doing it I would take of no more than needed to remove all the mount tabs.
I wouldn't turn off the tabs myself. I like the front brake. I also like a fender. The stock fender has a thick bracing underneath. This bracing stiffens the fork and helps with handling. you can cut a stock fender down to use just te bracing or add an after market fork brace.
Leo

I can't tell you how thick the are but I think you cab figure it out easy enough. The inside diameter of the lowers will be a bit larger than the upper tubes.
Your fork tubes will be 34 or 35 mm. The outside of your lower is 50 mm just above the fender mounts.
50-35=15 so wall thickness is about 7.5 mm thick
How thin can the walls be to be safe to use.
If I were doing it I would take of no more than needed to remove all the mount tabs.
I wouldn't turn off the tabs myself. I like the front brake. I also like a fender. The stock fender has a thick bracing underneath. This bracing stiffens the fork and helps with handling. you can cut a stock fender down to use just te bracing or add an after market fork brace.
Leo

Leo,

Thanks for your input. I am still going to run a front brake. I am removing the fender tabs and the second set of caliper tabs.

Back