Fork oil

royxxx

royxxx
Reaction score
1977 XS650 D. What is the correct volume of fork oil in ml ? my book gives 2 completely dfferent amounts.
Thanks Roy...........

I've never seen a ml spec, only cc's. The '77 forks spec 168cc (about 5.7 ounces) of 20wt. but ...... these forks work better if you use more. I run about 7 ounces per leg. Also, all the forks after this speced 10 wt. I don't know for sure why the '77 set was different. It may be because the holes in the damper rods are beveled. An engineer buddy of mine said they will flow more being beveled like that. '77 was the 1st year for the new 35mm forks. Maybe Yamaha figured 20wt. was right for them but then found out it wasn't and changed the spec for the later models. I'd be inclined to try the 10wt.

i just changed the fork oil in my 1980xs...if you seach the thread (front forks) it's from last week, you can read about the oil change from start to finish. I used 10W30 motor oil and i put 7oz in each leg....i took the bike out today and the ride is so much better. keep in mind I removed about 4.5 oz from each fork leg and the oil was like black water...it was about 30 years old i figure... i found it easy to use the 7oz rather than cc amounts...the wife had a baking cup with oz on it in the closet...i think if you use the 7oz of oil in ur forks, you will be fine.

Thanks guys, the forks are a total rebuild, I will go with 10 wt 200cc / leg, we talk ml this side of the ditch, which as stated is = cc.
Roy.

hi guys,,, after about 30years of my xs650 1976 34mm never ever being maintained,,, after i did my suzuki by flushing with new kero until it ran clean on each side i put progressive springs from usa, in with BEL-RAY 10WT fork oil what a difference,, i then did my xs650 it was just gunk that came out of the forks,, again i flushed them cleanwith kero as it does not hurt the seals,,,, i then put 180ml of bel-ray 10wt fork oil in each tube and bing a difference,,,and a far better ride at some point i would like to strip the tubes and cross drill the lower holes in the bottom of the 34mm which will make them damper alot better hope this helps you

hi guys on the bel-ray fork oil bottle it shows that ml equals cc and also on the side of better car oil as well .. hope this helps regards oldbiker

Back