fork question pic

slackjaw44

greasy summmbitch
Reaction score

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

so i got my forks in yesterday , if you guys remember i was running pre 77 forks with a 78 xs, so i got the right forks etc, put them in the triples seems like the holes are too big? what gives?

that's what i'm thinking pyro when i slip the bolts in all will be well...they I ASSUME* are 35 mm

sj44 you might better check that triple for straight. the slots shouldn't be opened up all that wide, normally you have to twist the tubes a bit to get em in and out. put the top triple on the stem, as they slide up from the lower triple the tubes should be centered in the holes before they start to go in. A quick check of the lower triple is to stand it on a flat surface. both tube holes should sit flat on the deck at the same time. If the PO changed the tubes he might have had a good reason to do it.

XS650 were 34mm to 1976
and 35mm 1977 on
TX750 36mm 1973-74
XS750-850 36mm 1977 on

here's a quick list of 38mm forks on some Yamahas

• FZR400
  • FZR600R
  • IT175 through IT465
  • XJ600S Seca II
  • XJ700 Maxim
  • XT550
  • XV1000 Virago
  • XV700C Virago
  • XV750 Virago
  • YZ125
  • YZ400

My upper triple tree doesn't look like anything on ebay or my manual, can someone post some pics of the upper triple tree for me?

Yep, mine look nothing like that, if you can tell by my profile picture he chopperized the front end, with extended fork tubes etc, which is why i guess he used the older pre 77 unit forks. I have no idea what this comes off of, not sure if the lower is right either..great finding more problems by the day, just been collecting parts that are matching...not fun

I don't know what it's from but it's definitely not a 650 upper tree. The handlebar clamps are a completely separate item on the 650 tree, not molded into it like that. They bolt to it through rubber bushings.

woohoo! thanks to a really good friend of mine i now own a xs whole front end , handlbars, tires, etc

Posted via Mobile

Back