Fork removal

Doctari

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I'm removing the bottom allen bolt on a fork tube and the bolt spins but doesn't come out of the tube. Any tricks to help?? Thanks :banghead:

In the old days I would use a broom handle down the fork internals so they do not move when I turn the allen screw. Now I have made two removal tools for both types of forks. I also have an electric wrench that works. Good luck Tony C

There are 2 types of damper rods.

A simple tool can be made up for the 78 to 83 models, to hold the damper rod from rotating.

You need 3 feet of 7/16" threaded rod and 8 of 7/16" nuts. Put 5 nuts on the bottom of rod and lock them together. Put 3 nuts on the top of rod and lock them together. The bottom nuts must be at the very bottom of the rod.

Insert the rod down into the stantion, and the nut will fit into the head of the damper rod. One person puts a wrench on the top of the rod, while the other person unscrews the 8 mm allen head bolt.

The "Search" function at the upper right corner works really well. Type in "fork removal" or "damper rod"....................lots to read.

Similar to the broom handle approach, I use a 3/4" dowel rod, tap it into the damper rod (drain oil first), and use an electric or air impact with the appropriate size hex driver to remove the socket bolt. Hold the dowel rod while you're working to loosen the bolt. Sometimes its easy and quick, and sometimes you just have to be patient and keep working at it.

Thanks for all of the ideas, we inserted a piece of 1/4 round molding for the first one. After being able to see what we were dealing with we invented Yamaha
part no. A7-665993 to be able to remove in the future. (kind of like what the retired gentleman suggested. Once again, thanks to all and I will probably have other questions since I am just getting started. Also the suggestion of the Search method will be used in the future.

Back