Fork tube questions for new project

Misterobotto

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

So I'm new to the forum and just got my first XS650. I'm planning to do a cafe/tracker build and wanted to get some opinions on what to do regarding the 3-4 inch extended fork tubes that are currently on the bike (and I figured this would be a good oportunity to introduce myself).

The bike is a 1980 XS650, and it's in spectacular shape. I don't have a ton of experience working on bikes, but I am pretty mechanically inclined and will have a buddy of mine helping me out.

Basically I am just wondering what to do since I really want to get those extended tubes off of the bike ASAP, but I'm not sure if I want to spend $140 to get the new stock length tubes (especially if I end up swapping out the whole front end at some point).

I guess I'm just looking for some advice/insight from some of you more experienced XS650 guys.

Thanks in advance. I've been sifting through this site for a few weeks now, and the awesome community is part of what influenced me to buy an XS.

Go to the classified section trade them for a stock length lots of chopper people on this site that might want them if there in good shape.

Thanks for the suggestion... I'm starting to think that I may just buy the new ones and then try to sell the old ones since they are in great shape... Saves me some downtime even though it will cost a bit more.

Back