Fork tube reassembly

Doctari

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I bought a bike in a box and I am reassembling the fork tubes. The allen bolt that goes into the bottom of the fork does not have an o-ring. The repair manual that I purchased shows "packing" between the bolt and the bottom of the fork leg. Could I just use an oil resistant o-ring or do I need to special order some kind of "packing" from Yamaha?? Thanks

That is at the top of the fork, I am talking about the very bottom of the fork. It is between the allen bolt and the bottom of the fork.

On my 80 it's a copper washer. What year forks do you have?

From here. You could prolly find one at a hardware store.

zz.png
za.png

Yes. Gasket... washer.... all the same.

The factory also called for some thread locking compound and some gasket sealer on the threads .....

aL3AZ9J.jpg

Personally, I don't bother with the thread locking compound but I do apply some Yamabond (or Hondabond) up at the top near the bolt head .....

l9B6mvN.jpg

FWIW, I just took mine apart and it was a red fiber washer (like some of the oil drain plug ones) not the copper I was expecting. I'm sure it's not available anymore and if I had to replace I would use copper.

I would definitely use (annealed) copper washers. Some may like bonded seals ("Dowty rings") for sealing bolts and plugs, but I don't. Soft aluminum washers may work just as good as copper.

Back