Forkleg seal retaining clip

voelser

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Well, I thought that once rebuilding things would be a bit smoother. But I'm proving me wrong: she seems to want to fight me all the way!

Putting together the front legs threw up a minor issue, but just wanted to doublecheck this with you guys on here. I dropped in the seals, but the washer on top, but putting the retaining clip in is proving to be a bit of a struggle. Initially I couldn't get them to stay seated at all: they would jump out if you looked at them funny! After some more fiddling and pressure they are now fairly secure (can't flick them out without a tool), but they still don't look fully seated in the groove. Not sure if you can see it in the image.

First thought of course was whether the seals were in deep enough, but I can't get them in any further. As far as I can judge they are as far as they go.

Is this good enough? Or better to get them fully seated, and if so, what's the best was to achieve that?

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions welcome!

Attachments

• Photo 20-05-2014 22 44 08.jpg
    Photo 20-05-2014 22 44 08.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 131
That doesn't look right at all. Can you tell us if the 'open cup' end of the seal is up (towards us) or down?

Last edited:
Get a socket that just fits inside the clip. Give it a few light taps. This will push the seal down, allowing the clip to settle into place.
Leo

Back