Found out why I had ZERO compression

How would one remove the carbon buildup on a valve without moving the head? I hear some people spray some water in the intake plugs? Carbon buildup seems like it could be the problem, as before I tore the carbs off, I examined the plugs and they were EXTREMELY carbon fouled. I had the bike running in a couple days before this recent compression test, but now it won't start.

Water injection; It seems a common system is to feed some water in slowly through the vacuum ports. Done to a hot engine under some load and at a fairly slow rate the water changing to steam tends to clean out the carbon in short order. Water injection in piston engines has a long history, often for cooling and to reduce detonation under high load operation.

I recall spraying a mixture of water, alcohol and hydrogen peroxide 40% (not the stuff to clean cuts thats .2%) in the intake while the engine is running at a fast idle. Just rev spray don't stall it. If the hydrogen peroxide is hard to locate skip and use the others. It's used on pston airplnes since forever and high performance cars with ultra high compression ratios. It works. If only XSjohn was here he'd bear me out.

Do I have to worry about hydrolocking? I'll probably pipette small amounts into the intake barbs, or should I be "misting" it into the carburetors?

However, my bike will barely idle, it can run for short amounts of time when turning the throttle and kicking, the bike dies when I release the throttle. Is this still an option??

Last edited:
Do I have to worry about hydrolocking? I'll probably pipette small amounts into the intake barbs, or should I be "misting" it into the carburetors?

However, my bike will barely idle, it can run for short amounts of time when turning the throttle and kicking, the bike dies when I release the throttle. Is this still an option??
Spraying a mist is fine (trigger sprayer bottle). Engine cannot hydrolock as the valves are opening and closing mechanically. If it won't rev you can't do it as you have other issues to resolve first.

I would be tempted to try spraying in some carb cleaner. I would also check valve clearances, a stuck valve should show up as excessive clearance.

Back