Found the cause of my transmission worries...

blackbetty

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
You guys remember me? Checking in after a long hiatus since I've been busy building other bikes and doing stuff.

Here's my 75 along w my buddy and his sweetass 69 BSA Firebird.

FEuIBXq.jpg

My xs has been in sitting listlessly in the corner of my garage for about 8 months, and I finally had some time to get it torn down.

wah wah
Fm0JpkXl.jpg

I was out riding last summer and went to get in the left turn lane. Well, the lanes were uneven and my front tire did that precarious edge slide for about 10 feet until I managed to recover and keep everything up. In the process I inadvertently knocked my hand shifter back hard into some no man's land and it basically got stuck in 2nd. I pull over and kill the motor and clutch it in and get it out of 2nd and continue on my way. A week or two later I'm making a 1-2 shift and it misses, totally reved up the motor like a newb. Well, something broke and the bike wouldn't hold gear, kept falling into false neutrals, and generally was unhappy. I limped it home and it's sat ever since.

This motor has been strong but finicky at best, so I decided to just pull the whole thing down. The copper gaskets are leaky, and I also thought my trans issues were due to broken dogs or something else deep in the cases, so I decided to just rebuild it.

hnMc2oOl.jpg

HufGrD0l.jpg

I pulled the covers, the top end and the sump....after pulling the cover and clutch it was obvious what the issue was....the shift selector drum detent arm spring broke. I replaced all these bits less than 5K miles ago after the first rebuild :doh:

KgZkLavl.jpg

So I was stoked to have found the transmission problem was actually no big deal, but I still had to find the remnant broken piece. I checked the sump, it wasn't in there. Oil filter didn't have it either....no broken spring on the drain plug or sump filter magnets...I check the sidecover again and lo and behold, right next the the tach drive was the little bastard...

vDUPWaQl.jpg

This time around I'll be rebuilding using an MLS head gasket. I'll keep the copper base gasket but I'm going to prep the surfaces w yamabond before I reassemble; the copperkote didn't work very well and truthfully the gasket surfaces are a little chewed.

The cylinders and pistons still look new, so I'm not going to bother pulling the pistons and honing/re-ringing. I opted instead to simply pull the wrist pins and replace the spring clips when I rebuild.

Sticking w the shell #1 cam and Boyer ignition. One of the cam bearings was a little crunchy so I decided to replace all 4.

Welcome back, Yeti man. We are slowly dropping off the board. Good to see you found the easy fix. Love that sucide setup. Get that sucker rolling again.

If the cylinder base surfaces are a little dinged, Permatex Ultra Black, Ultra Gray, or Ultra Copper would be a better choice than Yamabond.

Back