Found this in a barn yesterday

Nice find. Personally I find a lot of enjoyment taking a bike like that covered in who know's what and bringing it back from the brink.

Holy cow people, what is wrong with you?

This isn't a Yenko Camaro or anything.....

It's a XS650, of which they made 14 billion. I totally understand that there are hundreds and hundreds of examples of chopped up pieces of crap out there, but if you have an opportunity to really make a beautiful bike I certainly wouldn't be dissuaded by the "lack" of good clean bikes out there. Seems like every other day someone posts on here about how they found a neat original bike with low miles. They're not exactly scarce yet.

Seriously, if you want to make a tracker out of it, I'd jump in with both feet.

Again, really guys?

They are posting their opinions, all valid. You think he should cut it tell him. Yeah the mid years are not rare yet, UNLESS you want a good stock exhaust. LOL
Barn bikes are seldom "restoration" candidates every square inch of chrome will be pitted. They do make great Sunday afternoon riders.

I know I came on strong with that reply, but it seems like lately there's a real purist trend happening on this site. I hate seeing people jump on the bandwagon with that sort of thing. I understand the value of keeping a nice bike original, but I just don't think we are there yet.

'fraid not. It seriously is reminding me of the Jockey Journal lately, with people being condemned for not building a bike the way the site majority feels like it should be done. I'm probably over-reacting, but when Travis first started this site it welcomed all builders, even and especially those who were first timers and we were supportive of whatever people built, even if it was god-awful ugly, and even if they started with a mint example. I'll get off my soapbox now, I just don't want to see this site go that direction. Sorry for the threadjack....

If she were my daughter I'd.....
"What would you do, Daddy?'
"What would you do, Daddy?"
"What would you do, Daddy?"
Smother that girl in chocolate syrup, and strap her on again..(Oh,Baby!)....smother that girl in chocolate syrup, and strap her on again.......

Opinions are like feet, mos' everybody has a couple and they usually stink, but if somebody asks.......

Personally i think it would be nice to see the bike keep original......... but it is not mine.

I was thinking the other day that there was less of the dividing/ negative comments and there seemed to be more supportive comments towards people and there builds and recognizing the talents of the people trying rather than take sides.

If you are talking about a couple of threads that were resurrected recently, (that were only designed to be contentious from the out set, and i find the new member to be sus), I don't think they are indicative of what the site is these days.

And opinions were sort.

Holy cow people, what is wrong with you?

This isn't a Yenko Camaro or anything.....

It's a XS650, of which they made 14 billion. I totally understand that there are hundreds and hundreds of examples of chopped up pieces of crap out there, but if you have an opportunity to really make a beautiful bike I certainly wouldn't be dissuaded by the "lack" of good clean bikes out there. Seems like every other day someone posts on here about how they found a neat original bike with low miles. They're not exactly scarce yet.

Seriously, if you want to make a tracker out of it, I'd jump in with both feet.

Again, really guys?
No:yikes: don't do it !!

Posted via Mobile

I agree that the site is, if anything, mellower about builds and the "oldtimers" generally keep their yaps shut even when "we" see the "I bought it last night and I already have the frame cut, who makes an easy to bolt on hardtail?" threads. This site has always had a "bias" towards stock. Maybe you confused us with chopcult? You may notice that when the newby asks the usual "I haven't done ANY research" questions, it's the old riding around on "stock" bikes guys that carry a lot of the load in helping them?
I have a bad habit of planning to to do something custom, starting in on the bike by getting everything RUNNING AND WORKING PROPERLY before "making changes" and then say damn it's too nice to cut. I have a no title 73 on the lift right now, I bought it as a "parts bike" for a 70 restoration. But it is SO CLOSE to being a pretty damned decent "daily rider" I can't pull the trigger and tear it down.

But I do sell bikes to guys I KNOW are cutting and chopping. Others only leave here if the buyer swears on a stack of factory Yamaha service manuals they will leave them stock and care for them. I'd keep them all but there are just too many.

I do a mail route and I see a "brand new" beautiful sport bike that I am sure is destined to spend the winter alongside the trailer in a snow bank without even a cover on it. It been sitting there in the sun and rain since spring already. I want to slap the "owner".

my backgrounds antique harleys '30s an up . so im used to restoring or keeping them stock . look what the '60s an '70s did to those bikes ! now you got guys spending a fortune to restore knuckleheads an pans . not to mention that original parts are thru the roof . will these bikes ever reach that level, probably not . but when there found in low mileage original condition why cut 'em up . like someone said theres a ton of these out there , go find 1 that needs restoring an chop away . remember there only original once !! btw... all 3 of my xs are cut up in 1 form or another :thumbsup::bike:

I would keep it mostly stock and just install parts that are an improvement over stock. The usual stuff , suspension , ignition , charging system, brakes . I like having a vintage bike without all the usual vintage problems.

Lots of ugly bikes out there for building a tracker. .

Jeez, I've created a firestorm. Not my intent. I'll just say they made a shitload of these too. Where are they now?

Attachments

• IMG_1628.JPG
    IMG_1628.JPG
    240.7 KB · Views: 154
They are still around if you got $5000 you can get one that needs restoring and if you got $7000 to $10,000 you can get a nice one. I love the look of a Norton but they had a real bad reputation when it comes to reliability.

I never owned one myself , I always got talked out of it before I bought one. Had a few Triumphs and BSAs . They were great when they were running right, but that was about half the time at best.

Last edited:
I'd leave it stock. If you wanted to build a tracker, or cut a bike, I'm sure someone would buy that one from you. Then use the money to buy another one.

And I have to agree with Gary. I joined this site because of the knowledge of original bikes members have. I've bought a couple bikes because someone's Rat Rod chopper thing wouldn't run. Mostly because they tore the carbs apart because it didn't have a good battery in the bike.

Jeez, I've created a firestorm. Not my intent. I'll just say they made a shitload of these too. Where are they now?

i actually wanted a late 60s early 70s commando before getting into these xs ... but wasnt ready to spend 4 -12 grand for nice original 1. i had a norton yrs ago ... sold it cheap back then :doh:

In general i like to see these older bikes stay stock but I do have to step back a little and realize that it's a good way for someone to learn by experimenting. I remember in 1974 I was 19 or so and just had to build myself a chopper. I took the parents car and talked the Honda shop into selling me a motor only from a 1971 CB750. I waited while they pulled it out of the frame and then I loaded it in the back seat with oil dripping all over the place. I spent the next 10 years putting different pipes,bars,frames,wheels,springers,girders,paint jobs and MONEY into it but i learned a lot. But know I wish I had that stock 71 CB750. So everyone needs to learn. Unfortunately there is always going to be a little collateral damage

I'd make you a serious offer if you are serious about cutting it up. It'll be worth close to 2 grand with little to no investment besides time and will only be worth more in the future.

Back