Found this in a barn yesterday

Royboy

many roads, little time
Reaction score
North Central MN / Gold Canyon AZ (seasonal tramp)
Like the title says I really did find this 77' D Standard in an actual barn yesterday. Cows, cowshit, 36 Chevy coupe and this. We got it to run enough to determine that the motor is probably ok internally, carbs are filthy of course, and all systems need attention. I believe those are the original Bridgestone tires. Tins and tank are in remarkably good condition so the bike must have always been under a roof somewhere.

So here's the question, Is this thing so good that it would be wrong not to restore or is it tracker material? I'm into it for 1k at the moment. Opinions.....

roy

Attachments

• 1977 D   11-9-12 009.jpg
    1977 D 11-9-12 009.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 537
  • 1977 D   11-9-12 004.jpg
    1977 D 11-9-12 004.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 445
  • 1977 D   11-9-12 008.jpg
    1977 D 11-9-12 008.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 419
  • 1977 D   11-9-12 010.jpg
    1977 D 11-9-12 010.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 414
Your call, but I wouldn't hack it up. Special, yes. Standard, no.

I'm amazed at how little oxidation there is on the engine cases.

That is just so incredibly clean. Id say keep it stock. There are always F'ed up XS's out there to hack up. But then it's your bike, do what you want!

I'd put it back together and ride it as is while you shack out the bugs. Once you have the engine and electrical sorted and get bboredd of it then hack it up.

Beautifull! You can find PLENTY of half-assed bobber projects where the owners have gotten in over their heads but these are rare gems.
I'm in for unrestored original.....you lucky dog.....

Definitely restoration material. Wow, less than 6K miles! Often wondered what goes through a previous owner's mind to take a bike off the road with so little mileage.

If you are intent upon building a tracker, sell this bike to someone who wants a great example of a stock 77D and go out and buy a not so great Special to modify. Mind you, I am kind of partial to the 77's, having one myself.

resto

Amazing find..............as resto said, what are people doing when they buy a bike and only ride for such low mileage???

Oh yes, just clean it up, and keep it stock................a real beauty.

Beautiful! Don't cut that one, as said above, there's lots of them out there all hacked up for "projects" by the fingerpainters of the bike world. That thing looks great.
Also, don't try to ride on those tires!

NICE find Royboy. If you do decide to go to the dark side I'd be interested in your parts specifically the exhaust, seat, tank and tins.
Are the only blemishs the battery acid on the chain guard and the repostioning of the front blinkers(why did they do that???)

It is so nice to see an example like that - the red in the instruments is not even faded!

Thank you for those opinions! I value them. Afraid it's my destiny to never build a Tracker. Funny, building a tracker was the reason I bought the 78'SE a couple years ago but it was just too good so we restored it. Looked at a bunch of standards since then but usually too far gone mechanically. Then this guy popped up. Sitting there looking all forlorn under several years worth of dust, fly poop and a leaking left petcock I thought, "Well finally we've found our tracker". You are all correct of course, it will be restored.

In all honesty she's a twenty yard beauty right now. Any closer and you realize that every single thing needs attention. Lots of minor surface rust, fuel system, new M/C, brake lines, pads, shoes, caliper, tires, ignition, rec/reg, charging parts, forks, shocks, steering and swingarm bearings, the list is long. But hey, now I know what I'll be doing for the winter.

As the interesting parts go by I'll try to keep you posted. Thanks again.

roy

Last edited:
Are those Bridgestone tires S21F2 on the front and the rear got the S21R2, if so they may be the originals. The Bridgestone S21F2/S21R2 or the Yokahama Y-986 up front and the Y987 on back was put on at the factory.
That's one of the first things to change, old tires are bad tires.
Leo

Yes Leo they are the original skins. And no, I wouldn't ride this thing with a borrowed body right now.

roy

Attachments

• 77D original tires 001.jpg
    77D original tires 001.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 202
  • 77D original tires 002.jpg
    77D original tires 002.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 184
  • 77D original tires 003.jpg
    77D original tires 003.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 170
I'm all for doing whatever you want...mild custom, Brat, cafe', etc.......but I'd HAVE to keep that one stock. Fresh rubber, a tune up and ride it.

Back