Frame differences.

Oh yeah, the '81 on seat is a ugly as a mud fence. I could never understand why Yamaha (and Honda) discovered 1970s fashion in the 80s.....
It may be getting the bread-knife treatment & a fresh cover.
You might be able to get a ‘80 cover over the stock foam or close to it.
https://texavina.com/1978-1983-yama...profile-cafe-racer-motorcycle-seat-sku-l4533/
1691092452148.jpeg

Not appealing to me, but many disagree.

Oh yeah, the '81 on seat is a ugly as a mud fence. I could never understand why Yamaha (and Honda) discovered 1970s fashion in the 80s.....
Somewhere in that time frame Harley got a big tarrif slapped on import bikes over 700cc. Yamaha want to emulate the big cruiser look of Harley. I think Yamaha Specials were the first, soon everybody else did too. Guzzi Eldorado?

Somewhere in that time frame Harley got a big tarrif slapped on import bikes over 700cc. Yamaha want to emulate the big cruiser look of Harley. I think Yamaha Specials were the first, soon everybody else did too. Guzzi Eldorado?
Kawasaki LTD came before Yamaha Specials. Both came long before tariffs.

Yeah, look for....

was gonna comment, but your barf GIF... aside from being disgusting, just about freezes up my ancient computer.
untracking...

You may say that, but Ill tell you what...I worked in a Yamaha dealership in the late 70's/early 80's and we sold literally every single Special we could get our hands on, seriously.

I couldnt get them out of the crate , put together, serviced and test ridden fast enough back then...customers were chomping at the bit for them.

Yeah, Yamaha knew what they were doing when they created the Special, they were the right style for the time frame.

Shipping is an additional $100 on top of the $200 plus for the seat.... 😳
Exactly. $200 is inexpensive. I have friends that used to manufacture fine luggage in Vietnam. Their biggest expense was shipping it all to the USA. Comparatively, labor and materials were of no consequence.

I disremember but I seem to recall $168-179 for mine with $79 shipping. Don't tell the Mrs. Yes shipping is expensive and slow but I would guess they need to fill a container, someone here in USA then has to resort, package and reship...
I did not find a USA based manufacturer.

Last edited:
Exactly. $200 is inexpensive. I have friends that used to manufacture fine luggage in Vietnam. Their biggest expense was shipping it all to the USA. Comparatively, labor and materials were of no consequence.
I guess I'm looking at it from the perspective of the all steel, decent quality gas tanks I've bought from India for $69 shipped off eBay?

Thats cheap for an off shore item....kinda like Harbor Freight used to be, not so much anymore. 😳

I guess I'm looking at it from the perspective of the all steel, decent quality gas tanks I've bought from India for $69 shipped off eBay?

Thats cheap for an off shore item....kinda like Harbor Freight used to be, not so much anymore. 😳
This is a touchy subject. I will spout off "supply and demand" glibbly. But really, 50 year old gas tanks, poorly stored, rust out so there is likely a steady demand. See classifieds anywhere you can find old bikes with "re covered" seats. Some nicely, some not so... I guess if there was high demand there might be more competition.
There is a great variety of seat options for American big twin seats.

Also, we’re facing different shipping agreements between various countries. The playing field is not level. You can buy direct from China and get free shipping as an example, but from California across the country that is not the case.

Some people think the same about Specials,.....doesn't stop them from helping though ...........

This is down right disrespectful.

A member on here may have one.....,.and how would you know if he was one of the most knowledgeable person on here. Would you expect him/her to help you after posting this garbage.

This is a touchy subject. I will spout off "supply and demand" glibbly. But really, 50 year old gas tanks, poorly stored, rust out so there is likely a steady demand. See classifieds anywhere you can find old bikes with "re covered" seats. Some nicely, some not so... I guess if there was high demand there might be more competition.
There is a great variety of seat options for American big twin seats.
I see your point, I could see the value there if the quality is there.

I've seen a post or two stating people were happy with them, I've never actually seen one in person though?

Are they pretty good seats?

I see your point, I could see the value there if the quality is there.

I've seen a post or two stating people were happy with them, I've never actually seen one in person though?

Are they pretty good seats?
The reviews, on here and elsewhere say they are. Make sure you note the vendor is Texavina. Not all are created equal.

Back