Frame ideas

hotrdd

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Looking for any advice that you guys can give.
Just doing some maintenance on the bike and was thinking about starting to collect some parts for a bit of a rear end overhaul next winter. Right now I have a standard 76 XS650 except with a custom seat and forward controls. I do a lot of riding back and forth to work during the summer which means its normal to leave in 50F or cooler and come home in the mid 80's F. This also means that I normally have a lot of gear on the way to work and not much on the way home.

So I bought some Pelican 1520 and 1620 cases for ($60 total) for the rear of the bike and am going to try and mount them to get me through this year. But what I need is your thought on what I'm thinking of doing next year. Bike has already been cut and chopped so no worries on doing more.

- Keep my tail dragger fender.
- Get rid of the dual shocks and go with a mono shock.
- Bend up a new rear swing arm with 3-4 stretch so that I can get the seat a little lower, stretch out my legs and get a little more coverage from the shield.
- Mount the pelican cases directly to the new rear swing arm (I've never seen this before so I'm wondering if this is a good idea or not)?

Should I look at an air ride seat and air ride shock for the rear swing arm or just go with a sprung mono shock? I use this thing a lot and want to be able to hope on it for a few hours at a time with all my gear.

Back