Frame mod safety

Phyberoptic

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Been offered a bobber project that current owner has lost interest in.

Worried about the safety of the neck gusset removal as well as the rear shock mount mods:

xs650bob1.jpg

xs650bob2.jpg

-=PO

Can't tell much about the shock mounting, but I would definately re-do the gussets at the head. That's just me, but I ride everything hard, and would want the steering head/neck area reinforced pretty well.

Someone will chime in that has experience with that. The shocks being laid down lie that reduces the effectiveness of the rear suspension. you can try to install heavier springs, or pull-off shocks from something a bit heavier, like a Shadow 1100 or something. Depends on where you want to go.

Dont know much about doing neck gussets but Ive seen pics of a bike with a set up like picture below .. and the back bone snapped off right at the end of the centered gusset .. (evedently thats a bad designe and guessets should be welded to the sides of the tubes ) .. Im no expert thats just what I was told Trying to locate the pics to post

IMG_0101.jpg

Seth Enslow is a crazy bastard! Love his stuff. If something like this is what you have in mind to do with the bike, I'd look into Kenny Robert's TT bike frame!

Seriously, neck gussets save heartache.

Back