Frame neck and title questions

guitarmaker

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So let's say I buy a frame neck with a title. I want to build a custom bobber from it. That means custom frame, different forks, different engine, etc. If all these parts are from different bikes, is it still legal to register it as the bike that the frame neck is from? If not, how much of the bike has to be original equipment? In other words, if the bike says 1985 honda on the neck and title but clearly looks like a mix between a 1966 triumph and a 1939 knucklehead, will there be a problem? I'd like to be clear on this before I pull he trigger. Thanks in advance.

So let's say I buy a frame neck with a title. I want to build a custom bobber from it. That means custom frame, different forks, different engine, etc. If all these parts are from different bikes, is it still legal to register it as the bike that the frame neck is from? If not, how much of the bike has to be original equipment? In other words, if the bike says 1985 honda on the neck and title but clearly looks like a mix between a 1966 triumph and a 1939 knucklehead, will there be a problem? I'd like to be clear on this before I pull he trigger. Thanks in advance.

Hi guitarmaker,
Knucklehead motor in a Triumph frame or t'other way round? Both are interesting concepts.
I've always assumed that so long as you have the neck with the number on it to match the papers it's simply a "modified frame" and you can stick whatever engine you like in it but hey, I dunno. Best you go down to the DMV and ask them.

Xs motor in a knuckle style frame. I plan to modify the xs to look as much like a triumph engine as possible.

Xs motor in a knuckle style frame. I plan to modify the xs to look as much like a triumph engine as possible.

Hi guitarmaker,
apart from the big ol' YAMAHA engraved across the side casting the XS650 engine already looks like a Triumph engine. Or a BSA, or a Matchless or even a Royal Enfield.
You ain't the first to try passing an XS650 off as a Britbike engine, some have tried removing the YAMAHA lettering with a belt sander and some of those have gone right through the casting in the attempt.
A modern and brazen attempt at XSdisguise was in an ad for the BSA Owners Club which showed a nice BSA/XS650 hybrid with a horkin' great BSA plate riveted over the original name.
Before you get too deep into the disguise process, a small history lesson:-
Back in 1937 when Ed. Turner built his Speed Twin, the bike to have was a 500cc OHV single and the 500 single to have was a 4-valve Rudge.
Which had twin exhausts and a single carb.
The Speed Twin engine was designed to look as much like a 4-valve Rudge engine as was possible.
So you want to make a copy of a copy?
Just like those modern 500cc singles the Japanese mfrs build that have twin pipes to look like a Triumph twin, them not knowing that they are really building a second generation knock-off of a 4-valve Rudge.

This really is like a gray horse in the fog.
Thereare three issues;
What does YOUR state DMV think? If no inspection is needed, it doesn't matter much but some states will want to see bills of sale for all major components or want a "value based" sales tax check especially to register "home built" titles.
What will the local LEO think. He usually will be mostly concerned with required equipment and noise.
Third issue is really the big one, how are you going to get it insured? If you don't have a pot to pee in well whatever. But if the insurance company doesn't REALLY know what they have insured and something bad happens involving others. Then any fibbing on your part and they can say we didn't insure THAT and YOU are the one paying claims.

This really is like a gray horse in the fog.
Thereare three issues;
What does YOUR state DMV think? If no inspection is needed, it doesn't matter much but some states will want to see bills of sale for all major components or want a "value based" sales tax check especially to register "home built" titles.
What will the local LEO think. He usually will be mostly concerned with required equipment and noise.
Third issue is really the big one, how are you going to get it insured? If you don't have a pot to pee in well whatever. But if the insurance company doesn't REALLY know what they have insured and something bad happens involving others. Then any fibbing on your part and they can say we didn't insure THAT and YOU are the one paying claims.

I'm quite fond of the looks of the xs motor. It was the British look that first drew me to it. I'm certainly not ashamed of the yamaha name on it. My intent with this potential project is to build a vintage looking bike using modern parts. I want people to look at it and think its old but not know what it is right away. I have some machining experience so I'm confident that I could change the looks of a motor just enough to throw people off for at least a few seconds. I love all things vintage and I already have a 77 xs cafe bike so I'm just looking to do something a little different while still using the reliability and familiarity I have with the xs motor.

I guess my best course of action would be to check with the DMV and the guy who does my inspection who also custom builds bikes for a living.

Other than the last reply you are all thinking too hard on it, man if every car that someone replaces the engine because the old one threw a rod thru the block had to be registered as a modified the lines at the dmv would be way longer, also so many people out there change the rims on their car to get the look they want, does that mean they have to go back to the DMV? NO NO NO NO NO the answer is no, quit thinking so hard about this, if you have a legal, clean, clear title do what you want, build that frame from that neck, so many do with absolutely no issues, just make sure you have all required safety equipment including headlight, speedometer, tailight and blinkers "IF" your state requires it.

Chop it

Bob It

Ride it

Enjoy It

I have done this in three states that I lived in and was a inspection station in one state.
Now bottom line is if DMV takes title number off frame as what it is no matter what motor is in there its good. When you build a ground up bike with MSO NOTHING MATCHES you make it match. Inspection is Brakes /lights/turn signals/and in some stated sound. There are some very simple NO NO's that will get a bike failed but most is safety first. So if you go to DMV they will tell you NO because they are not experienced in inspection just a 8 to 5 job.

The only time I might worry about this type of thing would be when working with very old bikes. Some didn't have frame numbers, only engine numbers. The title was by the engine numbers.
Leo

Back